RIR, 25 wks, red comb etc. NO EGGS

I have 8 pullets/hens and I get 1 egg a day...ugh. I have two silkies, two OEGH/Silkie mixes, and 2 RIR's-(only one old enough to lay), one cochin and one Caumont-(french hen)-and I don't know whats going on...they are all well-fed, some have the red faces, and sound ready...from their crows-(female crows)-but the only one laying is the Cochin...its frustrating...is there a such thing as a dud chicken???

My hens are 32 weeks old - all but 2 are laying....

I have a theory that if machines know that you need them - they'll break down - so when I really NEED a copy machine or a printer to work.. I am careful about not letting the machine know... walk into the room they are in with a saunter.. whistling a tune.. not a care in the world...(hey.. I didn't say it was a valid theory!
lau.gif
)

and I have started thinking this might work with the 2 hens that are holdouts... so when I see them, I think.. "egg - schmegg" --and whistle a tune.. just so I send the vibe that I don't NEED the eggs.. it is just that I LIKE them... really..... (yes.. this requires some acting skill, and I have no talent)
tongue2.gif

I'm thinking this might work... join me! Lets try it! The new chant for people with chicken egg holdouts!!! EGG- SCHMEEEGGGG!
tongue.gif

some of my buff orps and rirs were hatched in Mar. - April, and I have yet to receive eggs from some of them. The AustralOrps, hatched about 1 mo. later, aren't yet laying either (not all of them; I think 2 of them are for sure, but not sure about the other 5)... I figure the eggs are a bonus; I got them because I LOVE to watch them just go about their chicken business, doing what they do, enriching my world with their personalities & funny antics. Thank You, Lord!

Quote:
I dunno but one of my RIRs started laying at about 24 weeks. She has been laying for almost 2 months now and only took 3 days off so far. The other one from the same hatch just started laying 2 weeks ago. Strange.

Quote:
I am feeding purina Laying pellets ..... HOW do you know if you are giving to much protein ?

Well that's what I'm feeding, so I'm not quite sure what the problem could be. It was just a thought. The feed that Acres of Blessings was feeding was 4% higher than the Layena. Not sure what your chickens issue is, or even if they have one at all. It might just be the time of year it is. Less daylight and so forth. Wish I could have solved the egg laying issue all together for you. Sorry.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom