RIR and BR Chicks 5 weeks MALE or FEMALE?

OMG My family already thinks I'm nuts for getting bees and chickens on my suburban lot. Unfortunately no other "livestock" permitted. Even i I wanted a pet pig (which i do) and it lived in the house with outdoor space, I'm not allowed, because it's "livestock". I love building ponds and a pair of ducks would be awesome in the pond, but I'm guessing they can fly away (or be eaten) if not penned, and if its penned its livestock...sigh.

And yes i do think your one australorp is a pullet but I was told I need AT LEAST 3, if not 5 to start , and would like to get them all at once, good luck selling your babies to great homes!

Meyer only ships 3 chicks in April+. If they want them right now, they could try Cackle Hatchery. They ship 3 year round. I bought 4 chicks in the mid of winter and received them all alright.

I don't want to order from a hatchery because the thought of getting a dead chick in the mail is just too much, I couldn't live with the guilt. I know I'll have a chicken die on me at some point, perhaps even early on, but the thought of it just dying in a shipping box, I can't do it. People do have chicks sexed on occasion, or sometimes young adults, I'll just have to be patient:)

Ecogirl- I got 4 chicks in the mail from a hatchery and they did better than the two I bought from the store!
They get shipped out as soon as they hatch and the chicks can survive a while with out food or water because of the nutrients from the egg. As long as you pick them up from the post office (who calls first thing in the morning) once they arrive there shouldn't be an issue :)

Back
Top Bottom