RIR Breed Thread

My girls. "Sonja & Ramona" They snuck inside the house & came to the couch for a visit.

Meet Cinnamon. She is the outcast along the other hens, but the Roos favorite and most protected. Why that is, idk-new to raising, but'd be interesting to find out:)

Last edited:
I updated my first post (post #3 ) with more imformation on the R.I. Reds and added some pictures of my Reds..

Chris
How broody do they get? Unlike most people I want the least broody as possible because I don't have a rooster and don't want them to guard unfertalized eggs.. I want the most eggs, least broodiness, and nicest breed.. Do you know a breed that meets those?

I have a 20 week old RIR/Dark Brahma mix hen, and her comb and wattle haven't really grown out at all. and neither have any eggs
idunno.gif
...is there something I'm doing wrong or is she just a late bloomer ?
hu.gif

Hey all! Just wanted to share a few pics of my heritage rir girls and roo.

This is a closeup of Louise.

Side view of Bill with Thelma in front. He has a rosecomb and his tail has been picked on by the sexlinks.

Bill acting all manly.

Louise checking out what I am doing.

Side view of Thelma.

Louise on the left and Thelma on the right. They are inseparable.

Bill, Thelma and a barred rock in the back and sexlinks up front.

I have found that my heritage rir are pretty much indestructable. They are out no matter the weather, hot, cold snow, rain, whatever. Nothing fazes them. The girls are very social with us and follow us everywhere. Bill minds his manners for the most part. Tell me what you think of them as I have decided to start replacing my flock with heritage rir and they will be part of it. I think the girls are pretty darn close to the standards. I am ordering hatching eggs from a breeder this spring. Its a different line. Anyways, all opinions are welcome.

Ouch...okay I guess I asked for that. I have finally found a breeder who has the Wilfred Kittle line and I will be getting hatching eggs from them. I am a novice to this and have been reading lots of books on this breed, mostly from the library of cornell and many of them were written in the late 1800's to early 1900's. The one thing that strikes me is that the person who is doing the writing or judging on the standards is looking for what they believe to be the correct coloring, shape, size, etc. While most of the standards spoken about in the books have uniformity, there are deviations among them as well. The pictures and descriptions bear this out rather well. However, that being said, the breeder I am working with has been very helpful with pics of his own birds that allow me to see the differences in my birds and his. Maybe my birds arent what you would consider true heritage, but they have proved enough to me that this is the breed for me. Hopefully the new chicks I hatch out will provide me with an acceptable breeding trio to start my own flock.

Back
Top Bottom