RIR favoring left leg

1dog1cat6chicks

Songster
9 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Southwestern PA
Rhoda the RIR is a few years old and started favoring her one leg. When I went to let them out in the morning she’d always still be on the roost, acting hesitant to hop down. She was holding up the left leg.
I feared the worst, that she had bumble foot, as we dealt with this a couple of years ago and actually had to put down a hen because she had it so bad despite treatment.
On Sunday I finally cornered her to take a good look, and her feet look great! No bumbles, soft and supple and completely normal looking! Couldn’t see anything suspicious on her leg either.
I half-jokingly said to my hubby that maybe he could build her a little ramp from the bottom roost to the floor of the coop and he (surprisingly) said “I’ll see if I have what I need” and promptly did it!! He is the best. ❤️ So now their roost is “handicapped accessible”. 🙂.
this morning Rhoda was still acting hesitant so I went over to her and she moved away from me and then slowly went down the ramp.
Success!
Still don’t know what her problem is, she acts pretty normal when she’s outside—it’s just jumping down from the roost mainly. Now she doesn’t have to. 🙂

Attachments

• 9EC0F11D-0FC2-4D25-B8E8-746564D01CBD.jpeg
    9EC0F11D-0FC2-4D25-B8E8-746564D01CBD.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom