RIR finally laying

Mamadiz

Hatching
Oct 12, 2020
30 weeks yes I was beginning to think I was scammed. I have 5 RIR and 2 white ones. The whites have been laying for 13 weeks. I have been adding crushed egg shells to feed since the white ones began laying. So far just one RIR laying and 1st egg was perfect and bigger. Only 3 have large combs and plenty of singing going on out there so should have abundance of eggs soon enough! Patience!

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
30 weeks yes I was beginning to think I was scammed. I have 5 RIR and 2 white ones. The whites have been laying for 13 weeks. I have been adding crushed egg shells to feed since the white ones began laying. So far just one RIR laying and 1st egg was perfect and bigger. Only 3 have large combs and plenty of singing going on out there so should have abundance of eggs soon enough! Patience!
That’s great! However, I wouldn’t add the egg shell directly to the feed. Instead, offer it free choice on the side. Too much calcium is bad - even for a laying hen. They know when they need it, and will eat it then. I would switch to oyster shells and offer them in a separate bowl as free choice.

Top Bottom