1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

RIR roo over Red Sexlink/Golden Commit

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kingmt, Sep 26, 2009.

1. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    I know it is a mutt & not a sexlink. What would I have? What color would they be & would they be good egg layers? Would they just be a mixed up mutt that you have no idea what they produced?

I'm just thinking of hatching my own egg layers for next year instead of buying day old chicks. I may have more questions depending on the answers to these questions.

2. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    They should be terrific layers!

3. keystonepaul

keystonepaul Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Pocono
    I like my mutts that we hatched this year- 4 pure bred buff orps (by chance) 6 buff orp/ red star- reddish yellow with hint of black in wings and tail, 1 partridge colored bird, 1 barred color excpet it's a bunch more white than black, 1 big ole rooster that looks like a delaware with two dime size areas where there are are brown spots on his body, nice birds, nice temperments!! Barred rock, red star, buff orp, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Penedenscenca hens with a buff orp roo. really pleased with how they look and act- just going to start laying soon. Good luck ,Keystonepaul

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I hatched out some of this cross about 3 yrs. ago. I got multiple colors reds, red&whites, solid whites male&female, reds with some black lacing some real interesting combos. The ones I kept were good layers as with most of my hatches I got a lot of roos. Good in gumbos though.

5. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:[​IMG]
    Did you cross them again to see what you got? The colors sound great. Did they stay a shorter birds or did they get taller? I don't care for gumbo but I can find uses for the cockerels also. I want to try to caponize some.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes I sitll have some of these around and their offspring around. No shorter they grew taller as they got older just like they're posed to. Remember Newton's law what comes around goes around or something like that . I didn't get it "shorter"

7. kingmt

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    My RIR are very tail compared to the Red Sexlinks.

8. catdaddyfro

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I kept only red ones and I'd have point them out from the rest of my PR's they all look pretty much the same maybe a little lighter shade of red than hatchery reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by