RIR Rooster White leghorn hens

00Tolley00

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 1, 2014
so I have some rir roosters and was going to cross them with some white leghorn hens. what would the breed be. ive read a lot and know its not considered a sex link. so what is it called? how long would it take 3 roosters to breed 50 hens? I plan on hatching some eggs, how many do you think I should set?

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. It will just be a mixed breed unless you happen to have those rare White Leghorn hens that have the silver factor gene in which case you would get Red Sex Links, but I wouldn't count on it. Most likely the offspring would be primarily white with some red flecking. One rooster can efficiently breed 10-15 hens so I would think most of the hens would have been bred within a few days. Just to be on the safe side, however many chicks you intend to hatch, I would set double that number of eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to join our flock. It will just be a mixed breed unless you happen to have those rare White Leghorn hens that have the silver factor gene in which case you would get Red Sex Links, but I wouldn't count on it. Most likely the offspring would be primarily white with some red flecking. One rooster can efficiently breed 10-15 hens so I would think most of the hens would have been bred within a few days. Just to be on the safe side, however many chicks you intend to hatch, I would set double that number of eggs. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your hatch.

X 2 - the chicks will be the ever popular "barnyard mix" - the pullets making excellent production birds! Welcome to BYC!

I think you should divide into separate flocks each with a rooster. If you throw 50 hens in with a few roosters, you don't know if they bred with all the hens. Some roosters may just be breeding the same ones the first rooster did and leaving many untouched. If they are in smaller groups, I think a rooster will get to each one.

Hello!

Welcome to BYC and the coop! There's a lot of great peeps here! Feel free to ask lots of questions. But most of all, make yourself at home. I'm so glad you decided to joined the BYC family. :frow

Back
Top Bottom