RIR singing the egg song, do yours?

flockof4

Songster
9 Years
Feb 10, 2010
Webster Groves, MO
So my RIR is now the most boisterous when it comes time to lay her egg. It's usually a two or three minute "song" with some serious vocal power. Anybody else have a RIR that likes to announce the magical gift of the egg?

Last edited:
Oh, goodie. I have a RIR and a Welsummer pullet getting awfully close to laying. Sounds like I'll have quite the Hallelujah Chorus once they start.... my BA already outsings the Cuckoo Marans, Black Sex Link and SLW.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
gig.gif

I could give you my Splash Orp cockeral, so he could join in the fun also!
lau.gif
It's really funny when a roo joins in the chorus.

I have a RIR that will do the egg song:

1) her egg
2) to announce another bird layed and egg
3) to claim another birds eggs as hers
4) just to get the choir going

She also gets my roo going. He constantly does the egg song......... ugh. I wonder sometimes.

Ok, I am a total newbie and my chicks probably won't lay eggs for another month or two.
I feel silly asking this, but what does the egg song sound like?!
Is it them clucking, or something different?
I love all the noises they are already making, it is quite an assortment of clucks and bauks!

Quote:
It sounds like bok bok bok bok BAGAWWWWWK! And depending on the hen, it's quite loud.

Here is a chicken doing it:

Last edited by a moderator:
when did your RIR start laying..mine is 13 wks and is more verbal than she used to be..she squats a little when i pet her..her comb is getting redder...i thought she might be too young, but is this her getting in the mood?

Back
Top Bottom