RIR singing the egg song, do yours?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by flockof4, Jun 23, 2010.

1. flockof4

flockof4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2010
    Webster Groves, MO
    So my RIR is now the most boisterous when it comes time to lay her egg. It's usually a two or three minute "song" with some serious vocal power. Anybody else have a RIR that likes to announce the magical gift of the egg?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Oh yeah. My RIR has some lungs on her. She usually gets a chorus going. The only ones that top her are my wellie girls.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, goodie. I have a RIR and a Welsummer pullet getting awfully close to laying. Sounds like I'll have quite the Hallelujah Chorus once they start.... my BA already outsings the Cuckoo Marans, Black Sex Link and SLW.

4. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

I could give you my Splash Orp cockeral, so he could join in the fun also! [​IMG] It's really funny when a roo joins in the chorus.

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have a RIR that will do the egg song:

1) her egg
    2) to announce another bird layed and egg
    3) to claim another birds eggs as hers
    4) just to get the choir going

She also gets my roo going. He constantly does the egg song......... ugh. I wonder sometimes.

6. petesgirl

petesgirl Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Seattle
    Ok, I am a total newbie and my chicks probably won't lay eggs for another month or two.
    I feel silly asking this, but what does the egg song sound like?!
    Is it them clucking, or something different?
    I love all the noises they are already making, it is quite an assortment of clucks and bauks!

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:It sounds like bok bok bok bok BAGAWWWWWK! And depending on the hen, it's quite loud.

8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:It sounds like bok bok bok bok BAGAWWWWWK! And depending on the hen, it's quite loud.

Here is a chicken doing it:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2010
  9. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Quote:What I find hysterically funny is that you have EXACTLY written in English letters the combination of sounds for the first stanza of The Egg Song. I mean, it's dead ON!

10. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    when did your RIR start laying..mine is 13 wks and is more verbal than she used to be..she squats a little when i pet her..her comb is getting redder...i thought she might be too young, but is this her getting in the mood?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by