RIR with sore/tumor on eye

My advice is to give him THUJA OCCIDENTALIS 30. Two drops in little water for three days. This will dry and fall away soon.
Here is a picture of my silkie at the age of three months. Almost the same case. Hard tumor type thing, but white in color.

If you have suspicion on bacterial infection you can also use cephradine (generic name) 30 mg/kg for three days.

Wow! That seems like the same thing! I thought I had some one of a kind problem with my little chick. I will have to try that, can I get it at a feed store?

I am really starting to think it is cancer. We talked to a friend at a local feed store and that is what he said. He suggested euthenization, but we want to save that as an absolute last resort. I have literally looked all over the internet for what it could be and haven't seen anything like it apart from this really old post here on BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/264466/young-chicken-with-eye-tumor-pic#post_12121948. Same breed, and the same kind of tumor in the same spot. It appears the original poster hasn't been online in years so there is no way of me finding out what happened to his RIR. We have tried ointments and soaking it for a few days now and it really has not made much of a difference. If anyone has seen something similar could you please link me to it? Our chick Bean is still acting just fine, the tumor just isn't going away.

Pox. I had one get it in her eye and she ended up losing the eye entirely. Not much to do but watch and wait. As far as others getting it, some do, some don't. Out of 50+ I had maybe 10 that got it.

Pox. I had one get it in her eye and she ended up losing the eye entirely. Not much to do but watch and wait. As far as others getting it, some do, some don't. Out of 50+ I had maybe 10 that got it.

With pox though don't they get it all over, and aren't the scabs smaller? This is a HUGE tumor-like thing covering his whole eye. It could be pox but I just don't think it looks like pox. Do you have any pictures of yours?

I am really starting to think it is cancer. We talked to a friend at a local feed store and that is what he said. He suggested euthenization, but we want to save that as an absolute last resort. I have literally looked all over the internet for what it could be and haven't seen anything like it apart from this really old post here on BYC https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/264466/young-chicken-with-eye-tumor-pic#post_12121948. Same breed, and the same kind of tumor in the same spot. It appears the original poster hasn't been online in years so there is no way of me finding out what happened to his RIR. We have tried ointments and soaking it for a few days now and it really has not made much of a difference. If anyone has seen something similar could you please link me to it? Our chick Bean is still acting just fine, the tumor just isn't going away.

Hard to tell from photo,is sore on her eye or is it on eyelid? Could it be an infection that progressed,not sure if you realize that pus from infections in chickens is a hard mass,not liquid as in other animals. Does it bleed,any odor from cyst? After looking at photo again,i'm thinking it may be a cyst/infection in eyelid,appears to be putting some pressure on eye,as eye looks a little sunken in or possibly the tissue around eye socket is swollen.

Last edited:
Hard to tell from photo,is sore on her eye or is it on eyelid? Could it be an infection that progressed,not sure if you realize that pus from infections in chickens is a hard mass,not liquid as in other animals. Does it bleed,any odor from cyst?

It either started on the eyelid, or underneath the eyelid but definitely did not start on the eye. I have not seen any blood, but there is a scabby like substance on the tumor. I don't really detect any sort of odor coming off it though. I did not realize that pus is a hard mass for chickens, would lancing the cyst be a bad idea?

It either started on the eyelid, or underneath the eyelid but definitely did not start on the eye. I have not seen any blood, but there is a scabby like substance on the tumor. I don't really detect any sort of odor coming off it though. I did not realize that pus is a hard mass for chickens, would lancing the cyst be a bad idea?
For the time being leave her. It could be a mild case of Avian dry pox,fits the description and area found on chickens. Starts off as a small pimple then progresses to inflamed lesions,eventually scab forms then falls off. Can last anywhere from 2-8 weeks. As long as she is eating/drinking,leave her and see if it does in fact fall off. If no improvement after the 8 week mark,then i would consider lancing to see what is inside.

Back
Top Bottom