Rissy’s Habitat

there’s like a white box on the side of the house that the Tesla servicers installed for us..
That would be the charging station. High amperage, 240V.
What a lot of people don't understand is that charging stations aren't actually chargers, the charger is in the individual vehicle. The station and the car communicate to make sure the connection is good and then the station provides current that the vehicle's charger can handle.

Why we dissing the Tesla?
I didn't know we were! Though apparently while the owner satisfaction is very high, the reliability isn't so hot.

We didn't consider Tesla because:
  1. The closest place to get one serviced is 300 miles away.
  2. There is no tax credit. We didn't consider a Chevy Bolt for the same reason. If the gov't wants lots of electric vehicles sold they need to change the "incentive". A $7,500 tax credit is fine IF you owe $7,500 in taxes in the year you buy the vehicle. Unlike solar and wind credits, there is no carry forward to future years, use it or lose it. And, of course, a HUGE number of people don't owe anywhere near $7,500 in income tax so buying an EV isn't going to save them any money. Plus, the current credit is based on how many electric vehicles a company has sold. Once they hit the limit the credit disappears. The net cost to the buyer has to go way down for a lot of people to be able to afford an EV.
I'm not fond of rear wheel drive in snow climates so if we DID get a Tesla it would have to be an AWD version. That, of course, bumps the cost up even higher.

Anyone want to tell me why I got snow in Texas
Because there is a big storm in the south and east and you are REALLY hoping it doesn't get too cold and take the power out for a week like it did last year?

We are expecting 10" of snow today/tonight. Temp started at 34, dropping steadily until it hits 0°F at 5 AM Saturday.

What a lot of people don't understand is that charging stations aren't actually chargers, the charger is in the individual vehicle. The station and the car communicate to make sure the connection is good and then the station provides current that the vehicle's charger can handle.

I didn't know we were! Though apparently while the owner satisfaction is very high, the reliability isn't so hot.

2. There is no tax credit. We didn't consider a Chevy Bolt for the same reason. If the gov't wants lots of electric vehicles sold they need to change the "incentive". A $7,500 tax credit is fine IF you owe $7,500 in taxes in the year you buy the vehicle. Unlike solar and wind credits, there is no carry forward to future years, use it or lose it. And, of course, a HUGE number of people don't owe anywhere near $7,500 in income tax so buying an EV isn't going to save them any money. Plus, the current credit is based on how many electric vehicles a company has sold. Once they hit the limit the credit disappears. The net cost to the buyer has to go way down for a lot of people to be able to afford an EV.
I'm not fond of rear wheel drive in snow climates so if we DID get a Tesla it would have to be an AWD version. That, of course, bumps the cost up even higher.

Because there is a big storm in the south and east and you are REALLY hoping it doesn't get too cold and take the power out for a week like it did last year?

We are expecting 10" of snow today/tonight. Temp started at 34, dropping steadily until it hits 0°F at 5 AM Saturday.
THREE HUNDREDD? Mines like 40 miles away near my gym 😂 and yea I think that teslas are tropi-cars (see what I did) but my brother in NY, everyone he knows has oje and they had 20 inches of snow

There are a pretty decent number of Teslas here as well. No idea what people do when they need service.

Regarding RWD ... it isn't like you CAN'T drive in snow, people did it for many a decade before FWD was invented. But pushing the front of the car from the rear in snow is less controlled, skidding is more likely. Though I suppose with all new cars having "anti skid" control now, that may not be as much of a problem. Still, pulling the front of the car through snow is more stable since the front wheels pull the car and are also steering.

Sounds like a Riss problem

Back
Top Bottom