RJ369 (Seller on eBay) - Anyone?

ksmith3406

In the Brooder
Apr 27, 2020
Missouri
Has anyone else bought French Black Copper Marans eggs from this seller on eBay? I'm curious how other people's experiences have been.

I have bought from him twice. The first time, I bought six eggs, and he added three extras. Of these, there were six that were a darker brown, but not nearly as dark as the brown in the pictures he uses. Several looked more like the stock Welsummer pictures you see. The three extras were really almost white. The weirder thing was that the white ones were the only ones that developed and hatched.

The second time, I bought six again, and again I got nine total. All of these are similar in color to the darker brown in the first set -- except one that is more olive-green. I'm on day 10, and I just candled, only to find that none of them show signs of development.

I realize that there are inherent risks in the delivery of hatching eggs, but this just seems a bit too poor. Especially since the prices aren't exactly cheap.

I also realize you might be wondering about my incubator and egg-care. Once the eggs arrived, I put them in my (cool and slightly moist) unfinished basement overnight, pointed end down, in a plugged in egg turner. The next day, I added them to my incubator -- in which I also currently have a dozen Ancona duck eggs that I picked up locally. The temps and humidity have been checked three times a day, during egg turns. And the Ancona eggs literally appear to be 100% developing.

Anyone else have experience to speak of -- positive or negative? I promise, I'm not trying to create a negative-only discussion. If you have positive experiences with great hatch rates -- or even acceptable hatch rates -- I'd like to know more.

Thanks!

Side note: eBay really needs to make it so you can (a) modify reviews, at least within the first 30 days or so; and (b) write reviews longer than 80 words. That last part in particular is absurd.

Have you contacted the breeder about this?

I’ve had 2 packs of undeveloped shipped Silkie eggs before from 2 breeders, imo, no development is almost always down to the fact that they’re infertile. I contacted the breeder with no reply from them. How is he shipping them? Here in UK a lot of egg sellers just stick them in polystyrene egg box with fragile tape, but it really isn’t enough.

Have you contacted the breeder about this?

I’ve had 2 packs of undeveloped shipped Silkie eggs before from 2 breeders, imo, no development is almost always down to the fact that they’re infertile. I contacted the breeder with no reply from them. How is he shipping them? Here in UK a lot of egg sellers just stick them in polystyrene egg box with fragile tape, but it really isn’t enough.

Hello there, and thanks for the response.

Yes, I sent a message to the seller, describing the situation and asking whether he has had any other issues with hatch rate/embryo development. No response yet, but that was just yesterday afternoon. Fertility/non-breeding is definitely what I was worried about, but ... hard for me to draw that conclusion based just on my couple of nine-egg encounters, particularly given the fact these were shipped across the country.

The shipping both times seemed OK. Not as good as what I have seen from a couple of others (who individually bubble wrap each egg in addition to other measures. But still OK. Eggs were placed inside of foam tubing, with that suspended in shredded newsprint within the box.

I did have one person ship a dozen eggs in packaging like you've described. Two standard six-count egg cartons, with folded toilet paper between the eggs and NO fragile indicator on the outside. Half were broken. Of the other six, three hatched at least . . .

Hello there, and thanks for the response.

Yes, I sent a message to the seller, describing the situation and asking whether he has had any other issues with hatch rate/embryo development. No response yet, but that was just yesterday afternoon. Fertility/non-breeding is definitely what I was worried about, but ... hard for me to draw that conclusion based just on my couple of nine-egg encounters, particularly given the fact these were shipped across the country.

The shipping both times seemed OK. Not as good as what I have seen from a couple of others (who individually bubble wrap each egg in addition to other measures. But still OK. Eggs were placed inside of foam tubing, with that suspended in shredded newsprint within the box.

I did have one person ship a dozen eggs in packaging like you've described. Two standard six-count egg cartons, with folded toilet paper between the eggs and NO fragile indicator on the outside. Half were broken. Of the other six, three hatched at least . . .

I would wait to see what his response is before concluding anything, but I am suspicious that they’re not fertile. Especially with the egg colour thing too. Given the egg colour difference between high and low quality Marans, he should be honest as to what colour the eggs he sells are. There’s no reason for them not to partially develop. But then, it could be an honest mistake. Too many hens, too much butt fluff, eggs too old...

Yeah. I did get a response. He just said that he was troubled to hear this and that he had not heard similar issues from others.

The problem with eBay feedback is that people feel like they have to leave the feedback early -- based on the way the eggs generally look when they arrive, how the packaging looked, etc. And a poor hatch rate is chalked up to shipping/handling and possibly to user error (bad temperature, poor turning, humidity issues, etc.). Because of this, eBay reviews don't really account well for the fact that you might just be getting eggs that aren't fertile -- for reasons that ARE controllable by the sellers. Kinda frustrating, but ... ya live, ya learn, I suppose.

Yeah. I did get a response. He just said that he was troubled to hear this and that he had not heard similar issues from others.

The problem with eBay feedback is that people feel like they have to leave the feedback early -- based on the way the eggs generally look when they arrive, how the packaging looked, etc. And a poor hatch rate is chalked up to shipping/handling and possibly to user error (bad temperature, poor turning, humidity issues, etc.). Because of this, eBay reviews don't really account well for the fact that you might just be getting eggs that aren't fertile -- for reasons that ARE controllable by the sellers. Kinda frustrating, but ... ya live, ya learn, I suppose.
I have purchased many eggs from different Ebay sellers and have sold some myself so I have had great hatches and some very expensive deathlayer eggs with only 1 out of 24 to hatch. This is the chance and risk that we take. It really isn't fair sometimes but I know when I send my eggs that you have a great chance of them hatching because I continually hatch my own along with my broody hens but you agree to the terms. I suggest you try a different seller that is closer to your residence and this may help. Most sellers are not out to rip you off otherwise they won't be selling anything because of bad feedback. Sorry for your bad experience.

Ebay eggs are a gamble but when you have no other way to get from a farm, that's what you end up settling for. I get most of my eggs from Ebay cause I want specific breeds. And my hatches are 70/30 percent.

I have seen that sellers item, it looked too good to be true, so I went with my instinct and passed on his eggs. The color of the sellers item photos is a clue if its legit.

Last edited:
Ebay eggs are a gamble but when you have no other way to get from a farm, that's what you end up settling for. I get most of my eggs from Ebay cause I want specific breeds. And my hatches are 70/30 percent.

I have seen that sellers item, it looked too good to be true, so I went with my instinct and passed on his eggs. The color of the sellers item photos is a clue if its legit.
I do also because I try to save the rare breeds from extinction. Just purchased frisian gull eggs and results were 7 of 12 hatched from greenfire farms. So even though they were expensive is also no guarantee. You just never know what you will get but when you find a great seller add them to your favorites.

I think your instincts were right. Searching around the internet, I also found posts on other sites saying that this seller uses images of roosters that aren't his in advertising other items on eBay. What a wonderful world -- lesson learned.

Back
Top Bottom