Road Trip......

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Hoosiermomma, Oct 2, 2009.

1. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    I have posted on here before about my trials and tribulations of homeschooling my kids. Well to add a little variety I thought we would come up with a virtual type 'road trip'. I will never get a chance to tour the states like I want to so I thought it would be fun to combine both a sight seeing and geography lesson in one.
    So I am coming to ask for your help. If you have been to any really phenomenal places please post where it is and what you liked about it. It could be something that is a must see scenic sight, historic sight , etc. Pics would be a plus too. I will then compile all the info, pics etc into a lesson plan for them. [​IMG] I got the idea this morning when I saw a thread for Mt.Rainier and it's cloud formations on here. They were absolutely gorgeous! I know I will probably never get to see something like that but I want my kids to be able to.
    Anyway you get the idea.......[​IMG] I am hoping to come up with a few things in each of the 50 states. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2009
  2. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I homeschool also, and this is a great idea !!

3. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I have photos of San Fransisco, San Jose, San Diego and the CA Desert, I can put together for them.

4. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:Hey there. That would be great! I just figure we would try this as a fun 'extra curricular' outside of their regular work. I haven't had a chance to try that one site yet...time4learning but plan to next week. We are just going to get through this year with the program we're with and then next year shake it up again. lol;)

5. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:I'm thinking of trying to find a wall size blank map of the US that we can fill in as we 'travel' from state to state. [​IMG]

6. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    Sure, let me dig out the 50 states posts from about.com's homeschooling too. Here geography's huge (because I'm a map junkie) we do it with the kids in 4th grade here.

http://homeschooling.about.com/cs/unitssubjgeog/a/susindex.htm

Whenever anyone we knows goes on vacation or to visit family, we ask them to send us a postcard, and then we look up the city/state on google maps and add a dot to our country/world maps, you could do the same here.

7. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
  8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Oh great idea, let the kids map out the trip and measure the distances and how long it will take to drive ! Sounds like great fun!

9. saddina

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
  10. Hoosiermomma

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:I've actually been to the Natural Bridge and am considering taking my kids there. That would only be a day trip so I'm game. We just can't go anywhere for more than a day b/c of our animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by