Roaming Dogs Caught on Game Camera Several Times

Any more sign of the dogs? Maybe their owner decided to lock them up when one came home with pellets in his butt...
fl.gif

Any more sign of the dogs? Maybe their owner decided to lock them up when one came home with pellets in his butt...
fl.gif

Nope. I downloaded the game cam, caught deer, a rabbit, my cat at 4 a.m. coming back from the pasture lot through the livestock fencing, in the same spot as a big rabbit an hour earlier, but no dogs. Haven't seen them with my own eyes, either.

DH and I began clearing that overgrown lower fence line ourselves today. I did find a low spot, maybe where water had run, with a belly slide so at least I know how the black dog got out so fast and we never saw it come back around with its companion. I put a scrap piece of fencing over that place temporarily so I think I've fixed all the lower issues we found with the entire fence.

See how much we got done today? Still have some work to do. First, the place the dog got out so fast, if you can see it. He slid right under there, no other place had a slide mark, even where it was too high off the ground (all those places are now fixed/patched). The fence was put in over ten years ago and things settle and change, as you know.

And now, no more dogs hiding in the scrub at least. Lots more to do. We're going to sell that mower we bought a year or so ago. It has 22 HP but the automatic trans just doesn't seem to have the power to do what we need around here. Really need someone to come cut the pasture lot and use other equipment than a "citified" riding mower.

After................................................................................................Before:

Down here is where we both ran out of steam, using hand loppers and the brushcutter blade on the weedwhacker. Our backs and arms really hurt tonight. That poplar has to come down because power lines run above it and you know poplars, very fragile and fast growing, but need the chainsaw for that. At least if we continue up the fence line, we can put new, taller posts and in some places, taller fencing as well.

Nope. I downloaded the game cam, caught deer, a rabbit, my cat at 4 a.m. coming back from the pasture lot through the livestock fencing, in the same spot as a big rabbit an hour earlier, but no dogs. Haven't seen them with my own eyes, either.

DH and I began clearing that overgrown lower fence line ourselves today. I did find a low spot, maybe where water had run, with a belly slide so at least I know how the black dog got out so fast and we never saw it come back around with its companion. I put a scrap piece of fencing over that place temporarily so I think I've fixed all the lower issues we found with the entire fence.

See how much we got done today? Still have some work to do. First, the place the dog got out so fast, if you can see it. He slid right under there, no other place had a slide mark, even where it was too high off the ground (all those places are now fixed/patched). The fence was put in over ten years ago and things settle and change, as you know.

And now, no more dogs hiding in the scrub at least. Lots more to do. We're going to sell that mower we bought a year or so ago. It has 22 HP but the automatic trans just doesn't seem to have the power to do what we need around here. Really need someone to come cut the pasture lot and use other equipment than a "citified" riding mower.

After................................................................................................Before:

Down here is where we both ran out of steam, using hand loppers and the brushcutter blade on the weedwhacker. Our backs and arms really hurt tonight. That poplar has to come down because power lines run above it and you know poplars, very fragile and fast growing, but need the chainsaw for that. At least if we continue up the fence line, we can put new, taller posts and in some places, taller fencing as well.

Y'all have put in a good days work on your property. I am sure you'll finish everything shortly, yard work always needs a few days of rest in between them.

Y'all have put in a good days work on your property. I am sure you'll finish everything shortly, yard work always needs a few days of rest in between them.

DH may need a week for recovery. I made him take Naproxen immediately when he got in and so did I. His back is pretty bad, but I guess he really didn't want to pay someone to do it. My arms and hands are so sore, even though I lift weights fairly regularly in order to be able to lift the 50# feed bags over my shoulder. Guess I can skip that for a few days, ouchouchouch. One day we absolutely won't be able to do all this. I wish we didn't now. I still have a guy I can call to clear up the rest of the brush along the fence line if I need to. Seems like a good guy, very hard worker. It's worth it so predators can't go to ground so easily.

On an off-topic side note, all those Leyland Cypress, hemlocks and rhododendron, I planted myself except for one. There was one native rhodie on the property and I practically ran in front of the bulldozer the power company hired to cut the power line easement to save it when it was about 3' tall. They cut half of it before I yelled at them (it was way up on the property-our fence stopped that nonsense). Now, look at it. I love it. It has gorgeous lavender bloom heads every spring now.

Last edited:
Still no sign of the dogs, however, I was jolted out of bed at around 3:45 a.m. by a fox alarm-barking. I listened for a few minutes, then started to doze again, then, again, more barking followed by some sort of growly sound in between the barks. I have not heard a fox around here for quite awhile now. Usually, when I hear the barks like that, seems coyotes are around. But, the odd growly-snarly sound mixed in with the barks was different. The fox sounds went on, periodically, for about 45 minutes. I even got out of bed and went out onto the deck to listen for a few minutes, located my cat on the deck out of harm's way. The neighborhood dogs were dead silent the entire time.

Though the fox was on the front of the property when I heard him, probably on the un-maintained road that surrounds my place, I checked the game cam in case he went across the back pasture, or whatever was causing him distress passed that way. All I had were three deer pictures.

Oh, for @bobbi-j a view from one side of my deck, zoomed in a tiny bit, of Piney Mtn. Watson is to the right of it, a giant compared to Piney. I'd so miss this if I had to leave here.

And cabins on Watson Mtn. When we moved here, there was pretty much just one straight across from us. Now, the mountain is dotted with them...and you'd think some of them are trying to land planes, the way they keep the places lit up at night. This pic was from last late fall-you can see what I mean.

DH says he doesn't feel as bad as he thought he would after yesterday's manual labor. Guess we'll continue our trek around the perimeter fence up to the driveway gate, but I have to get a small quilt project done today then clean the house for possible company late in the weekend, so it may have to wait a day or two. Maybe when we get all this maintenance done, we can see about some kind of hot wire. Question: can you do it just across the back fence that borders the pasture? Was thinking about that.

Last edited:
I've been following along with your thread. I was really hoping you'd have an update that the dogs were gone. I hate that you and your DH have to physically suffer so much due to someone else's carelessness in containing their dogs. My number one fear for my flock is getting destroyed by roaming dogs.

Oh, for @bobbi-j a view from one side of my deck, zoomed in a tiny bit, of Piney Mtn. Watson is to the right of it, a giant compared to Piney. I'd so miss this if I had to leave here.

And cabins on Watson Mtn. When we moved here, there was pretty much just one straight across from us. Now, the mountain is dotted with them...and you'd think some of them are trying to land planes, the way they keep the places lit up at night. This pic was from last late fall-you can see what I mean.

DH says he doesn't feel as bad as he thought he would after yesterday's manual labor. Guess we'll continue our trek around the perimeter fence up to the driveway gate, but I have to get a small quilt project done today then clean the house for possible company late in the weekend, so it may have to wait a day or two. Maybe when we get all this maintenance done, we can see about some kind of hot wire. Question: can you do it just across the back fence that borders the pasture? Was thinking about that.
Thank you! Such a beautiful place! I've never been to your part of the country, but it's definitely on my list of places I'd like to see. One of these days, I'll post a couple of pictures of my prairie. Also beautiful in its own way.

So glad your DH is feeling better than he thought he would.

Trying to figure out your question. Are you wondering if you can attach it to the back fence? With proper insulators, I would think you could. You just don't want your electric fence to touch your other wire or it will cause a short.

Back
Top Bottom