Roaming Dogs Caught on Game Camera Several Times

Pics

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
There are two large dogs, owner unknown, who have been caught on my game cam twice. Our main 2 acres, with house, coops, barn (with its own fence) is perimeter fenced with a driveway gate. The adjoining pasture lot is not fenced yet, but that's in the plans. I downloaded my game cam, which I faced toward the pasture about 2 weeks ago after reports of a humongous coyote pack in our area were posted, thought maybe I'd get some on camera and see what condition they are in. I got this picture about 4 days ago. The dog was very interested in something inside the perimeter, not sure what-maybe deer, maybe my cat. I didn't see them in person this time.

Today, I heard something running through the woods across the power line easement that borders my property, not far from our barn. I waited, thinking a deer would run out, but nope, it was the black dog and his brindle friend was behind him. He looked at me and we were at a standoff until I picked up a long switch and yelled. They booked it down the road. I decided to check the game camera and lo and behold, they were here earlier this morning, too.

On the local yard sale site, thinking the dogs' owner or someone who knows them would tell the owner, I posted this courtesy heads-up:

Quote:

Of course, for this, I get abuse and thinly veiled threats and the like , and "poor puppies", etc. Two women, neither of which have a clue who the dogs are, lectured me on how horrible I was and how I had no right to think of shooting the dogs. I finally told them to move on unless they know the owner.

1) No way I'll approach strange, BIG dogs, especially a group of them. Not reaching for the collar, even if there is a tag. Not getting bitten.
2) I said if they get into the perimeter, they are in danger because I have some valuable birds (no, lady, they're not gamecocks, sheesh)
3) the law says dogs must be under the owner's control at all times-obviously, these are not.
4) I said IF they are lost, they are hanging around here and you should come this way to look for them. That is a courtesy that I have NO responsibility to do, but oh, I'm a terrible person.
5) No pass for dogs just because they are dogs. No exception for hunting dogs, either, because no one has pemission to hunt my place, period.

One person said she hopes if I kill the dogs, they find where I live and take care of business. Good grief, so sorry for trying to notify the owner of their dogs being in trouble. Sheesh.

I have hens who are almost 10 years old who hatched here and have never been in serious danger. I have some very rare breed chickens and rare quality birds that are worth some $$ and a lot of time invested in them. If I lose them, they are not easily replaced. Not to mention, I've put up fencing and more fencing to keep dogs out and my chickens in, but these big dogs can scale that livestock fence and if the birds are free ranging inside the perimeter fence, they would kill them, I'm sure. So, here we go. I'm once again in a position to have to execute dogs. Why do they put me in this position?? I love dogs, but I love my chickens more. The dogs are trespassing repeatedly. The chickens belong here.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the only real fix is to drop them. I have tried everything I can to get these big vicious dogs to stay away. This is just another poor pet owner and you have to pay the cost of their lack of caring. And when in packs of 3 or more, it gets worse, they come in and bust into the caged roosters and breeding pens to kill the birds in them. At least they have not bothered whats free ranging,,,,
Before you off one, check your local laws, I am in a farming state. Here we have the right to protect our live stock.

speckledhen - this must be a sign of the times, because it's rampant - everywhere, and people don't care.
When I turned my neighbors in for their repeatedly loose dogs - someone went on one of the local
Facebook pages and started a libelous rant against me. This in spite of the DA prosecuting my neighbors - and them getting fined -
I was the bad guy - not them - according to my local yahoos. Well, we know who really is in the right: YOU.

What won my case? Photos and videos just like yours. Irrefutable evidence.

Keep a record, look into your county laws - if they are able to be prosecuted, call your sheriff, and get the ball rolling.
Don't just complain online - call the sheriff - get them cited - go to court.

My neighbors are getting busted a second time because the dogs were loose after their first conviction.
I'm asking the DA to really come down hard on them next time.

I have worked for a federal and state law enforcement agency in my younger years. Only way you'll get this stopped
is to go through the right channels. Document. Everything! Report, and ride the sheriff to do something about it.

CC your local newspaper in any correspondence with your county officials. Sometimes that kind of
public shaming gets things going if you have lazy DA or a corrupt county apparatus (been there, seen it).

Good luck….you are in the right. They are not!

How very worrying for you speckledhen in all of those pics the dogs definitely look like they are interested in something on your side of the fence. I think your decision not to approach them is a wise one.

I too think that your posting on the site was a good thing, giving the owners the opportunity to contain their dogs. Some would not bother and would just shoot on sight.

I wonder how those who abused you would be reacting if the dogs were having their beloved kitty cat or pampered pooch for breakfast? It is easy for some to judge when they are not the ones having to deal with the real possibility of losing something they love.

From what I have learnt from your posts, you are a loving animal carer; such a shame that the owners of these dogs [unless they are lost] are not. While it would be sad if the dogs have to die, the blame will be totally in the lap of the owners, not yours. You have a right to protect your loved ones.

Hoping that they lose interest and move on
fl.gif

The fence in the background and the dog (plus my 2 other dogs) are the measures I take to keep my birds safe whilst they free-range, and honestly even that isn't enough sometimes. Though we have never lost a bird to a predator I still am always concerned about the leash less dogs in my area. I have seen a German Short-Haired Pointer and a Maltese that eye my chickens through the fence, there is is absolutely no way I wouldn't take "action" against both of them if they breached the fence.

Honestly I can't stand irresponsible dog owners, maybe it is because I spend time and money to keep my animals safe (including my dogs). It frustrates me that someone else can offset all my efforts by allowing their untrained, aggressive and intact (they are never neutered in my experience) dog to run loose... especially in a pack! I know very well my dog in this picture can and will jump our 5 foot fence, so what do I do? Put him in a 6 foot fence! Why is that logic not shared by most dog owners, do they realize that dogs are predators?

Do what you have to do to protect your animals. This coming from an animal lover, too!

You know I will. I love my chickens beyond any dog on this planet. And I adore dogs. The problem is the owner, as everyone says, but unfortunately, you just can't shoot the owner, no matter how much you might be tempted, LOL.

We have chicken rustlers around this area, have heard reports of folks having chickens stolen from their coops, sometimes the thief obviously knew which ones were the most valuable. Human predators are usually there to steal, not slaughter on the spot like dogs, unless there's some revenge aspect. My best friend has had birds stolen on at least three occasions, once strangers took the best Silkies she had, left the rest. Next time, they took young bird through one of those exterior nestboxes in winter, probably local kids. She never found them. The next one was a Dark Brahma pullet and she knows who did it- the guy had been driving up and down the street (dead end, nobody-had-business-there type of country road). After a long, drawn out sheriff's investigation where the guy's brother got arrested when they found his pot farm, the poor pullet was brought back during the night and dumped into the pen where she was killed by a raccoon before morning, having nowhere to hide. So, yeah, I'm not putting up with dogs or humans messing with my chickens.

See my shirt?

Hmmmm, my agriculture professor and I were discussing your problem since she has local dogs attempt to get her Emus constantly, before she SSS, she pretty much drove to her neighbors mailboxes, and left everyone in a certain vicinity, a kind, but strongly worded letter, complete with statute and law information included so they knew she had legal high-ground, so to speak. She simply let dog owners know that she wasn't going to sacrifice from her stock to cater to irresponsibility. Let's just say, after the letters went out, she said she saw a 80% decrease in roaming pooches. (Tho, she did have to dispatch one. :/ )

I have lived in the suburbs most of my life, never lived on a farm or raised animals. I just have to say I totally agree with you. Even though I have never raised livestock I know it takes a lot of time and money to raise them. I know dogs on the loose can just go on a killing spree. Also don't blame you for not wanting to confront the dogs you never know. Hopeful the owners take control of their animals so it doesn't come down to you having to protect yours.
Good luck

I'm siding with you.

The laws of my state (Iowa) are clearly on the side of the domestic livestock owner (I just read them), and running dogs can be taken if they're harassing your birds. There's no provision for attempts to locate the owner of the dog(s). You went above and beyond.

In the same way that I will protect my birds from raccoons, coyotes, or badgers, I'll protect them from running dogs as well.

I love dogs. However, once a dog becomes accustomed harassing livestock, there's usually no stopping them.

Back
Top Bottom