Roaming Dogs Caught on Game Camera Several Times

I've been following along with your thread. I was really hoping you'd have an update that the dogs were gone. I hate that you and your DH have to physically suffer so much due to someone else's carelessness in containing their dogs. My number one fear for my flock is getting destroyed by roaming dogs.
Thank you. I hope soon I'll feel better about being able to keep them out.

Thank you! Such a beautiful place! I've never been to your part of the country, but it's definitely on my list of places I'd like to see. One of these days, I'll post a couple of pictures of my prairie. Also beautiful in its own way.

So glad your DH is feeling better than he thought he would.

Trying to figure out your question. Are you wondering if you can attach it to the back fence? With proper insulators, I would think you could. You just don't want your electric fence to touch your other wire or it will cause a short.
We've lived in both Colorado, Utah (twice there) and Ohio. Loved the west, Ohio not so much.

Yes, that's it. Our property is sort of like a land island surrounded by roads. The main lot is perimeter fenced with the section adjacent to the pasture lot going straight across from one side to the other side. If I could just hot wire the back that goes across, it would be a start. That part is relatively easy to keep clear since we logged that lot (used to be completely wooded) and had stumps pulled and the lot seeded.

The shaded part is ours, except for Lot 8, which we no longer own, though it is still undeveloped and full of blackberries and other scrub. Taxes were getting too much on those separate lots for us. Now, we just have to pay for the pasture lot separately from the house property taxes, still too much, but I'm not letting someone build that close to me. Lots 5 and 9b together are the main property and that is what the perimeter fence surrounds.

Lot 9a is the pasture lot. The fence I'm talking about making hot is the back perimeter fence section, right on the lot line between 9b and 9a (used to be one lot, but the original owner had the developer divide it and add 9b to his Lot 5 so his lot was larger to build on.

The road that goes down the center of the plat next to the shaded areas is one boundary of our land, the power line easement road.

Last edited:
I'm hoping that no posts for a while means no more dogs?

Yup, seems they got a good scare; either that, or they just haven't passed in front of the game camera. And if the black dog had any buckshot in him, maybe the owner who had to dig it out decided they'd better stay home for awhile. I have not downloaded the pictures for a couple of days but every day so far has shown only deer.

ETA: The download today shows only deer and a rabbit. Wonder how Finn missed getting this fat guy? He loves his rabbit dinners. No raccoons, possums, fox, coyote or roaming dogs, either.

Last edited:
speckledhen Cool! Hopefully you are right and the owners have realised that the dogs are best kept on their own property and/or the dogs have also learnt a lesson. The owner may have taken it to the Vet or even the local Police who could have explained that it was probably shot because it was on someone else’s property. Even though it is common sense, their stating the obvious that it will happen again if they are not confined or that others are within their rights to shoot may have done the trick.

I am pleased for you that they have not been back.

Mr Fat Bunny might be a little too big for Finn’s liking
wink.png

speckledhen Cool! Hopefully you are right and the owners have realised that the dogs are best kept on their own property and/or the dogs have also learnt a lesson. The owner may have taken it to the Vet or even the local Police who could have explained that it was probably shot because it was on someone else’s property. Even though it is common sense, their stating the obvious that it will happen again if they are not confined or that others are within their rights to shoot may have done the trick.

I am pleased for you that they have not been back.

Mr Fat Bunny might be a little too big for Finn’s liking
wink.png

I don't think the dog got more than a sharp jolt with birdshot from that distance, but if even one of the pellets got under the skin, hope the owner realized what must have happened to it. The other one was just completely terrorized trying to get out since he obviously forgot how he got in and missed how his pal escaped after the shot. DH didn't even shoot at him, just followed him around as he frantically looked for an opening and finally climbed over and zipped down the driveway next door.

Someone who is staying at that house has what DH said was a Sheltie-looking small dog. It was loose about a week ago-I heard a woman calling for it as it rustled around in the leaves just outside our perimeter fence and on the sort-of road that is our property line. DH had to go get the mail and met up with the dog. He told her a word of warning-he told her that the woman across from us had two little hens. A fox got one. And a fox might get her little dog if she doesn't keep it close. LOL. Of course, probably not, but a coyote will. A much larger dog such as the ones causing us trouble will. And a homeowner who finds it after his chickens will, too.

Finn has gotten a couple of pretty big bunnies in the past-amazing how fast he can be, that cat. I haven't seen many of them in recent weeks since the big coyote pack has been in the area, but maybe they've moved on further away and the rabbits can come out of hiding for awhile.

Days later, still no sign of the dogs, only deer and a possum. This guy seems to be growing up around our pasture. His rack is certainly expanding now.

Most of what we see around here is also just deer and opossums.
Though we have a very healthy population of rabbits too (the cats think they are lunch
sickbyc.gif
).
Raccoon, fox and a few other critters visit a stream behind our house quite often but have never been seen near the house itself.

Glad to hear the dogs have not returned, hopefully it will stay that way.

Updating the thread. Not one sign of the dogs, or any dogs, at all. Maybe the dogs were with someone who was visiting the area, not sure, but after that day that DH terrorized them, they never returned. Guess he's pretty scary, LOL.

A week later, at the next download this afternoon, still not one dog on video, only deer and my cat heading out to the pasture and back. Very relieved that they seem to have moved on or out or something, but the camera is still set.

Back
Top Bottom