Roaming Dogs coming in and killing yesterday

Pics

pntdhorses

Songster
6 Years
Oct 18, 2015
SE Kansas
So, one of my biggest fears came true yesterday. Two dogs that almost looked coyote like but had collars on came through and attacked my two guineas. Luckily it was raining so none of my chickens were out free ranging or I’m sure it would have been a slaughter. The guineas were out because they hate being contained and roam the area looking for ticks.

The dogs killed one and badly injured the other. He must have been able to escape to a tree. But he was badly mauled. So far he is okay...I tried my best to treat his wounds and he’s in a quiet place in the house.

So I belong to this “Nextdoor” app that lets you post and converse with all people on it within a 4 mile or so radius of your home. I posted a description of the dogs and asked if anyone might have seen them or know the owner. I said that I will shoot them if they come back on my property looking to kill more of my animals.

OMG....you would have thought I threatened to kill someone’s child. Everybody was up in arms saying I was hateful, that it was a misdemeanor to kill someone’s beloved pets. I had one lady go so far as to tell me that I was a bad “mom” and shouldn’t be allowed to have animals.

Trying to explain that I had every right to protect my property and my animals completely fell on deaf ears. And I do have every right. Kansas State Law states:
47-646. Killing dog lawful, when.
It shall be lawful for any person at any time to kill any dog which may be found injuring or attempting to injure any livestock as defined in K.S.A. 47-1001, and amendments thereto.

These people obviously have never lived on a farm or ranch. And of course, I don’t want to shoot dogs but if they come back to kill again, they are officially a predator just like a coyote.

Am I wrong here? Their attitudes just make my blood boil.

Hmmm, that's a tough one. I would be mad if someone shot my dog who was trying to hurt livestock, but the law is the law! It's good you warned people, maybe the dogs' owners will be worried for their dogs' lives, and will keep them out of trouble. I know that I could never shoot/hurt a dog, they are the best animals ever! (Sorry chickens). I have a dog, and that would make it even harder. Hopefully, the dogs won't come back, but if they keep down-sizing your flock, I might shoot them with a BB gun to scare them into never returning to your farm. If they continue to cause trouble, I would maybe try to catch them and take them to an animal shelter, or maybe call animal control. You may feel differently about dogs than I do, but I probably wouldn't go to the extreme of killing a dog. I would feel guilty my whole life, and I would feel so sorry for the owners. Hope this helps!

If you got the law on your side, and it is on the books, no you are not.With that said I would report the transgression to local police and or sheriffs dept, and quote the law to them and get their input. I would go so far as to quote that same law on your nextdoor app thread that you got lambasted on!

Edit: I do have dogs, love them dearly. But as for killing one that was attacking my chickens, I wouldn't hesitate, especially if it was coming from an irresponsible dog owner

Last edited:
You are absolutely right and did all the right things. Letting the neighborhood know that you can and will take action was very smart and may insure that those dogs do not come back. And if they do come back you have every right to shoot them. My dog wandered and got shot. The vet said he wouldn't live, but he did. I love him but he got what he got for roaming on other's property, I am not mad at the land owner. Don't let small minded people ruin your day any more than their dogs have ruined your guineas!! Sorry for your loss. :hugs

Wow, I'd be steaming mad! This is good advice, all the above. Two things about this kind of situation that I've both experienced and watched others go through in various states:
1) Document, document, document. Take notes, take pics, make sure you post a complaint with your local sheriff's office. That way it's on the record. It's not enough just to be in the right, you need to think of possible litigation if you do end up defending your livestock and property. People are crazy these days and everyone wants to sue for every little thing.
2) This is just my experience. But in Arkansas, where I lived for 6 years, the local sheriff of our community told me about their unspoken law there: "Shoot, shovel, shut up". I'm not advocating this explicitly. But we had to do this after a pack of wild dogs showed up and attacked local animals, then our own. We shot the lead dog, buried him immediately, never said a thing. No one came looking in this case because they were feral.

Lastly, when I lived in Idaho one of my dogs--a beautiful Siberian Husky-- attacked and killed a neighbor's turkeys and their pet duck. I put the dog down that day. Took him to the vet, explained the situation, and the vet told me this was the right thing to do because once they've attacked something, they'll continue to look for opportunities to repeat this behavior. We didn't get sued but if we had, I was on record as having responded immediately and taking responsibility. It was hard. But it was the right thing.

Back
Top Bottom