Roast Duck Recipe

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by FlChickie, Aug 19, 2011.

1. FlChickie

FlChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    Citrus County, Florida
    We're going to have 2 ducks making their way to our freezer this weekend and I want to roast one on an open flame for the family since they are going to be coming over to help us with a few projects. What would be the best way to roast it?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If it is a fatty duck, you poke holes in the skin so the fat can melt out.

Most home raised ducks are very lean so you must be very careful to not over-cook because the meat will dry out and get tough. It's not like chicken that tastes weird if it is underdone. Duck is more like beef where it is very nice medium rare. I like mine cooked about medium.

On an open flame? Barbecue? Rotisserie? If it is a fatty duck, poke the skin and sprinkle it with a bit of seasoning. If it is a lean duck, perhaps marinate it in a bit of olive oil and lemon with crushed garlic. Or teriyaki sauce is excellent on duck.

Or, I love duck glazed with a mixture of orange juice and red currant jelly at the end, then just cooked enough longer to set the glaze up.

3. ChooksinChoppers

ChooksinChoppers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Ocala, Florida.
    I have read where you should "age" older Chickens in the fridge beforehand for a couple of days......would that work the same for a lean duck?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by