roasted soybeans

two j farm

Crowing
5 Years
May 25, 2016
Louisiana
My Coop
My Coop
I'm trying to add more protein to my chickens, I can buy roasted soybean for $12 a bag at my feed store. Is it best to feed them dry or fermented? I ferment my other feed now. What's the best was and how much should I be feedings? Thanks

I know this isn't an answer for you, but I would assume it is safe to feed soy products to chicken.

That being said, you might want to look at sprouting cheap beans like Lentils. I get those @ 1 pound for around $0.95. The chicken love those things, however, I realize that your roasted soybeans do sound like a much cheaper and less labor intensive option.

One question regarding the how much to feed.... do your chicken have space and time to free range your yard or are they cooped and completely dependent on you for feed? How many chicken and are they all at point of lay? Why do you feel they aren't getting enough protein?

Also, let us get @Texas Kiki in on these questions.

Last edited:
I know this isn't an answer for you, but I would assume it is safe to feed soy products to chicken.

That being said, you might want to look at sprouting cheap beans like Lentils. I get those @ 1 pound for around $0.95. The chicken love those things, however, I realize that your roasted soybeans do sound like a much cheaper and less labor intensive option.

One question regarding the how much to feed.... do your chicken have space and time to free range your yard or are they cooped and completely dependent on you for feed? How many chicken and are they all at point of lay? Why do you feel they aren't getting enough protein?

Also, let us get @Texas Kiki in on these questions.
I have around 80 chickens and 4 ducks. All are not laying yet and 10 of them are roosters. About 20 are older and laying. They range from 3 years old to 1 month old. Everyone one hits the yard around 9am til time to roost.

I'm looking for more protein because my feed is only 12%. I live in a small town with one feed store and laying feed is hard to come by here. The store is sold out with in hours of the truck coming, so us people with a lot of chicken have to buy all stock when they are out for the month. I ferment the all stock with scratch. I do buy starter for the chicks

I leave my layers to just feed themselves, on occasion, I will toss out some 9% scratch. The older gals are just starting to eat chick starter at 24% again, but do not like my sprouts. They do manage to roost with very full crops so I don't stress about what they ate.

Soy bean is the industry standard for a protein source. Simple math, if the all stock is 12%, sb is 38% and your goal is somewhere between 16-18% you take 4 parts (by weight) all stock, add one part sb your mixture will end up 17%. (4×12% + 38% ÷5=17.2%). Not the whole picture as you are also adding scratch which lowers the starting %. It is also severely deficient in Ca and if it's "normal" all stock, it's swimming in molasses.
You are better off feeding chick starter when they run out or even 50/50. If you're limited to grains, livestock feeds and chick starter you can formulate an acceptable substitute. Corn chops, wheat, barley, oats, soy beans... an equine ration balancer, a bag of alfalfa pellets and a few bags of chick starter is a good starting point. Sit down with the feed tags and see what you can come up with. Feeding 80 birds, you should be buying bulk feed or at least have a standing order for 10-15 bags every month.

:goodpost:
I agree with @Percheron chick about the pre ordering if your store can do that. Also I like her math using the 4 parts feed to 1 part rolled or crushed soy. A quick internet search showed me you can order 2,000 pound pallets for $400 or 50lb bags for $10.50 each. (edit, this did not include shipping. I clicked on the "estimate shipping button, but they wanted my personal info to contact me later)

As for dry or fermented, might try both and see which they prefer, or even if they will eat it all. I know my birds can be picky lol.

Soy bean is the industry standard for a protein source. Simple math, if the all stock is 12%, sb is 38% and your goal is somewhere between 16-18% you take 4 parts (by weight) all stock, add one part sb your mixture will end up 17%. (4×12% + 38% ÷5=17.2%). Not the whole picture as you are also adding scratch which lowers the starting %. It is also severely deficient in Ca and if it's "normal" all stock, it's swimming in molasses.
You are better off feeding chick starter when they run out or even 50/50. If you're limited to grains, livestock feeds and chick starter you can formulate an acceptable substitute. Corn chops, wheat, barley, oats, soy beans... an equine ration balancer, a bag of alfalfa pellets and a few bags of chick starter is a good starting point. Sit down with the feed tags and see what you can come up with. Feeding 80 birds, you should be buying bulk feed or at least have a standing order for 10-15 bags every month.
Thanks, the all stock I get doesn't have molasses in it. Its a dry pellet. The feed store will not let us order feed or save any for anyone. They have a limit on how many bags we can buy in a day, so I'm stuck with the all stock for now. I could make the drive to buy it somewhere else but I really don't want to if I don't have to. I think I will try the soybeans for now and see how they like it.

Back
Top Bottom