Nifty-Chicken

Administrator
BYC Staff
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
Okay everyone... I finally upgraded from my old "FrankenFeeder " and built my own large capaity feeder.

Here is the whole story:

HomeMade Chicken Feeder

Here is the before:

feeder1.jpg

... and here is the after:

feeder-6.jpg

We need details now, How do you fill it. Where is it located, looks like older barn is there an upstairs? Inquiring minds want to know. How much does it hold?? DETAILS DETAILS DETAILS
hu.gif
hu.gif
hu.gif

Good job on the feeder!

I love the color... funny how that paint sometimes works out, sometimes not exactly what you had planned.

I'm working on the new coop for my girls when they grow up (will make room in the chickNbarn for some bantys in the spring...
tongue.png
). Anyway, I needed red paint to match the outbuildling and the chickNbarn. Went to the home depot and found exterior, high quality RED paint on the OOPS bin for only $5. This was $30/gal paint, mind you!

There were 3 gal of the same color. Painted today and Whooo - just the right color! I was dreading that when I put it on it would either look too pink or too blackish red.

I'll have to post pics of the new digs when I get it finished...

Susan

Quote:
I was wondering the same when I asked about the ladder. Does it fill from upstairs or an outside wall?

Maybe it gets filled once and when the food runs out they are just out of luck, maybe rob is out there now trying to figure that out too. He might have forgot about the refilling part

I thought the ladder comment was a joke.

Keep in mind this is only 43 inches tall (3.5 feet). My chicken run isn't full height, it is only about 4 feet tall.

I designed it so I could fill from the outside of the run as seen here:

feeder-7.jpg

By my calculation it holds about 2580 cubic inches of feed. More than enough space for a full bag of layer pellets.

So... what does this all mean? Well, basically I only need to feed my girls 33% as often. Heck, now that I've got this high capacity feeder and the auto waterer, I could go on vacation for 2 weeks and everybody would be fine.

...now, if I can just design an egg tray that will roll the eggs into a refrigerator for when I get back!
wink.png
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom