Rockporters’ Emu Hatch January’20

Rockporters

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
New Hampshire
I meant to do this earlier, but life was crazy with the holidays.

We are on day 41 with 2 emu eggs. We are incubating in a GQF 1502 at 97°. Dehumidifier running in the room, bowl of rice in the incubator, and inside the incubator I’ve added a small computer like fan on the bottom shelf set to low.

Egg A: 605g (start) 546g (now) 514g (15% goal)—Wiggling
Egg B: 516g (start) 467g (now) 439g (15% goal)—Not Wiggling

We aren’t going to make weight goal on either egg. If the current weight loss keeps up we will end up around 13%, if lucky, and assuming 2 weeks left in incubation.

So, that’s where we’re at!

Today is day 48. Or 47. We are now questioning the start date we wrote down lol. There continues to be no movement from egg B, and it feels different than A. A, on the other hand, is rockin’ and rollin’.

I quit turning the eggs this afternoon, and moved them to the hatching area of the incubator. Because of what I’ve read on FB, I also kicked the temp up to 97.5 today. Where I’m struggling is with humidity. Everything I’ve read says we should’ve been incubating with 35% humidity. I’ve run it dry because of weight loss. Now, I am confused about whether to bother adding humidity now or not?!? :he

Weights today:

Egg A: 537g (Goal 514g)

Egg B: 460g (Goal 439g)

Goals were based on 7.5wks, I think. I probably should have figures on 8 weeks. Either way, we are off a bit.

Here is Egg A doing his wiggle today!

We are past day 50 now. Egg A continues to wiggle. Egg B continues to NOT wiggle. However, it feels like something is moving inside it when you lay it on your lap or hold it. Perhaps it is just gearing up for an amazing explosion lol, or maybe there is a chick after all. Time will tell.

No chirps heard yet. I’m not sure we will even be able to hear, between the furnace noise and brooder chicks. Both eggs have lost 12-13% weight, not as much as we’d hoped.

Everything I’ve read says humidity should be at 35% throughout, and at hatch. I’m so confused about whether to add humidity at this point. We are around 18-23%, and the eggs haven’t lost quite enough weight. I’m hesitant to add humidity now unless someone with experience tells me to. Anyone? Would love insight from those more experienced.

Egg A responds more to my baby talk voice than my whistle. I’m very bad at whistling lol. Anyway, this week’s video:

During days 30 through 40, did you feel like you had duds at all?

After having 2 out of 4 end up rotten, starting to wonder if my last two are bad? They don’t stink, but feeling like there’s nothing in there alive.

Any changes with yours this evening?

@ShannonsChimkens We we’re trying not to
overthink it, but we had our doubts because of low weight loss.

What day are you on again? Is it possible that your temp is a little low, and the eggs are just a little behind? Did you do the crazy making tests?(as I call them) Tilt, and warm end?
You might be surprised at how subtle the wiggling movement is at first. We thought it was just a light/shadow causing us to think it moved. Talk and whistle at it, our Egg A seems to get rowdier with talking than whistling. Also, try letting the egg sit out for a bit. Ours needs to be out for a few minutes before it will start reacting.

Our eggs were same old same old, last I heard. Unfortunately, they are alone all of tomorrow. I will get an update on progress Thursday morning.

Back
Top Bottom