Did my emu eggs die?

JerseyGiant123

Chirping
Nov 27, 2020
North Arkansas
A couple of months ago I won some emu eggs in an online raffle, that were shipped from the Midwest area of the US to the south east. They were doing great up until week 6. They were wiggling like crazy whenever I would take them out to weigh them but one of them completely stopped wiggling after week 6 and the other stopped by week 7. They are a little lighter and the 15% humidity end goal was in the upper 400s. I am spot on with the weight loss, My incubation temp stayed at a steady 96.5 throughout with no downtime and they get plenty of fresh oxygen in the incubator. Today is day 53 and whenever I check them they don't wiggle at all, although both the eggs lean to the pointy side and the air cell side cools down. I've tried the tap method with a drill bit and both ends have a tink noise that differs from the side of the egg. I've tried listening with a stethoscope and heard no noise. Do the emu chicks get too big to wiggle the shell in the latter stages or do I possibly have some dead eggs? Thanks.

A couple of months ago I won some emu eggs in an online raffle, that were shipped from the Midwest area of the US to the south east. They were doing great up until week 6. They were wiggling like crazy whenever I would take them out to weigh them but one of them completely stopped wiggling after week 6 and the other stopped by week 7. They are a little lighter and the 15% humidity end goal was in the upper 400s. I am spot on with the weight loss, My incubation temp stayed at a steady 96.5 throughout with no downtime and they get plenty of fresh oxygen in the incubator. Today is day 53 and whenever I check them they don't wiggle at all, although both the eggs lean to the pointy side and the air cell side cools down. I've tried the tap method with a drill bit and both ends have a tink noise that differs from the side of the egg. I've tried listening with a stethoscope and heard no noise. Do the emu chicks get too big to wiggle the shell in the latter stages or do I possibly have some dead eggs? Thanks.
Well, there's always a possibility unfortunately that they're gone, but don't give up yet.
I've never hatched emus but I'll tag @Pyxis for you.
Did you calibrate an additional thermometer and salt test a hygrometer to keep inside the incubator during incubation?

Potentially they have died :( Mine that are alive always wiggle right up to the end, if they wiggle. But some eggs never wiggle at all and still hatch, so it's possible some would start and then stop. I would just leave them in for now to see because I've heard of some hatching really late, like day 65+.

Back
Top Bottom