Rockporters’ Emu Hatch January’20

Rockporters

Songster
Apr 9, 2019
New Hampshire
I meant to do this earlier, but life was crazy with the holidays.

We are on day 41 with 2 emu eggs. We are incubating in a GQF 1502 at 97°. Dehumidifier running in the room, bowl of rice in the incubator, and inside the incubator I’ve added a small computer like fan on the bottom shelf set to low.

Egg A: 605g (start) 546g (now) 514g (15% goal)—Wiggling
Egg B: 516g (start) 467g (now) 439g (15% goal)—Not Wiggling

We aren’t going to make weight goal on either egg. If the current weight loss keeps up we will end up around 13%, if lucky, and assuming 2 weeks left in incubation.

So, that’s where we’re at!

Today is day 48. Or 47. We are now questioning the start date we wrote down lol. There continues to be no movement from egg B, and it feels different than A. A, on the other hand, is rockin’ and rollin’.

I quit turning the eggs this afternoon, and moved them to the hatching area of the incubator. Because of what I’ve read on FB, I also kicked the temp up to 97.5 today. Where I’m struggling is with humidity. Everything I’ve read says we should’ve been incubating with 35% humidity. I’ve run it dry because of weight loss. Now, I am confused about whether to bother adding humidity now or not?!? :he

Weights today:

Egg A: 537g (Goal 514g)

Egg B: 460g (Goal 439g)

Goals were based on 7.5wks, I think. I probably should have figures on 8 weeks. Either way, we are off a bit.

Here is Egg A doing his wiggle today!

Sorry you lost the chick :( I lost one like that in my first hatch - I didn't help it, and it turned out it was malpositioned.

You're right in that the eggs with chicks in them do eventually even back out from the tilt. Here's a nice graphic showing that:

emu egg tilt graphic.jpg

We are past day 50 now. Egg A continues to wiggle. Egg B continues to NOT wiggle. However, it feels like something is moving inside it when you lay it on your lap or hold it. Perhaps it is just gearing up for an amazing explosion lol, or maybe there is a chick after all. Time will tell.

No chirps heard yet. I’m not sure we will even be able to hear, between the furnace noise and brooder chicks. Both eggs have lost 12-13% weight, not as much as we’d hoped.

Everything I’ve read says humidity should be at 35% throughout, and at hatch. I’m so confused about whether to add humidity at this point. We are around 18-23%, and the eggs haven’t lost quite enough weight. I’m hesitant to add humidity now unless someone with experience tells me to. Anyone? Would love insight from those more experienced.

Egg A responds more to my baby talk voice than my whistle. I’m very bad at whistling lol. Anyway, this week’s video:

I’m sad to report that A quit this afternoon. :hit:hit He was moving and whistling this morning, but he did let out a couple of panicky sounding squeaks before I put him back in. I didn’t check him again until this afternoon, and he was gone. So sad.

Eggtopsy showed what I expected. He was ready to hatch. Veins had been absorbed, no visible egg sac, and all the membranes looked good. He was big, and his abdomen a bit swollen. I’d read the latter can happen when at the low end of weight loss, and that they could have trouble hatching on their own.

What I’ve learned in this process...
  • Emus truly don’t need added humidity if they aren’t losing weight. Even if your humidity readings are as low as 18%, go with it. He would have been screwed a lot sooner had I followed the 35% humidity thing that’s pushed in the groups on FB. I’m glad that I didn’t add water.
  • Taking them in and out of the incubator doesn’t seem to put them at risk for shrink wrap. His membranes were perfect. I had him in and out a lot. Nothing was dried out
  • If they have 3 days worth of air in an air cell, and it’s been longer than that since they sounded (pipped internally), go with your gut on helping. Even if it doesn’t make it, there’s a chance it isn’t going to make it anyway. Just my opinion based on this experience, but all of FB disagrees with me lol.
I am so frustrated that I listened to others and didn’t help, I wish I’d gone with my gut. It is heartbreaking when they don’t make it after 57 days of giving love and care!!
I’m so sorry Rockporter!!! So sad to have gotten so close!

Back
Top Bottom