Did I ruin my eggs?

EmuMom

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2018
California
I started 9 emu eggs in a little giant foam incubator. They spent a week in there before my cabinet incubator arrived. The temps and humidity were all over the place. I calculated the desired weight loss per week for each egg based on a 15% total weight loss over 55 days. None of my eggs met the goal.
I guess my question is, how fragile is that first week? Did I ruin them?

Egg 1 639g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 8g
Egg 2 657g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 11g
Egg 3 540g desired weight loss 10g/wk actual loss 8g
Egg 4 627g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 8g
Egg 5 631g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 9g
Egg 6 634g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 10g
Egg 7 629g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 11g
Egg 8 549g desired weight loss 10g/wk actual loss 6g
Egg 9 637g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 10g

What day are you on now? Humidity is more important as an average overall than on a week by week basis.

If your temps were still in the acceptable range that first week, then they might still be okay. I had the same thing happen to me and an experience emu breeder told me it was probably fine.

I started 9 emu eggs in a little giant foam incubator. They spent a week in there before my cabinet incubator arrived. The temps and humidity were all over the place. I calculated the desired weight loss per week for each egg based on a 15% total weight loss over 55 days. None of my eggs met the goal.
I guess my question is, how fragile is that first week? Did I ruin them?

Egg 1 639g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 8g
Egg 2 657g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 11g
Egg 3 540g desired weight loss 10g/wk actual loss 8g
Egg 4 627g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 8g
Egg 5 631g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 9g
Egg 6 634g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 10g
Egg 7 629g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 11g
Egg 8 549g desired weight loss 10g/wk actual loss 6g
Egg 9 637g desired weight loss 12g/wk actual loss 10g
Ive never set emu eggs bfore but weight loss is usually gotten from lower humidity.you might just need to adjust that and youll be fine. (I would wait for others opinions though. Ive only ever set chicken eggs)

Today is day 8. I just moved them to the cabinet yesterday. The incubator I was using got hot spots so I was using a forehead thermometer to check each egg. I would rotate the eggs around to different places in the incubator so that hopefully none were cooked. The humidity was between 40-50% according to the built in gauge, even with a bowl of rice placed inside. I kept all vents open. I had a thermometer inside the incubator that pretty consistently read between 97-98 degrees but the eggs themselves showed warmer when scanned with a digital forehead thermometer.

Hello everyone!

I have two emu chicks. I hatched 5 eggs, 35,3C' and 25% 35% humidity.
The eggs was 2 days in the shipping car, and the temperature was 0C' outside.
I turned them, when I knew. One day 1-2, and another day 10+!
I try hatch them closer naturally. :)
Weight loss ~10g, but the bad eggs was ~3g and ~6g.
I saw when they move in the egg ~ 35 days to hatching time. Two eggs moving, three eggs not. :)
I again buy some eggs, and I hatch them. Theye are don't to be brothers and sisters.

EmuMom! Dont't worry! If you do this, they going to hatch! ;-)

Back
Top Bottom