Rocky64's chat thread: anything is welcome

Discussion in 'Games, Jokes, and Fun!' started by Rocky64, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Rocky64

Rocky64 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2015
    I was cleaning one of my chicken pens today when 3 of my hens wanted in (they were outside today) and 1 of them went straight to a nest box. The two others were doing their own thing ( which included messing up the piles of old hay and poop that I had made so I could bucket them and take them outside). One of the hens digging at my piles decided to join the laying hen in the nest box, as soon as the hen(Red) laid an egg, the other one pushed Red and got on the egg. Red left to go outside and the other 2 did the same when they got done. Well the nesting box is actually an old rabbit hutch that's in the pen for new chickens to get used to the main flock, but seeing that I have no new chickens at the moment, I leave it open and the hens lay eggs in it. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015
  2. Hens rule

Hens rule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Nice picture! That's funny that they lay eggs in a old rabbit hutch. In the summer some of my chickens don't lay in the nesting boxes but in dust bath holes they have made. Sometimes I find eggs in my chickens roosting area and some on the floor. My chickens got to dust bath this week. It's the first time they've gotten to dust bath in like 5-6 months! :) I hope the dust bathing gets rid of their mites!

3. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    Dust bathing helps with mites. I have an old cat litter thing that is put sand in and stick it in the pen, they dust bathe in it when they can't get outside.

4. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Good idea :)

5. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    Hope its okay if I add my breeds:
    Black sexlinks
    red sex links
    Production reds
    Buff Orpington
    NewHampshire

Hopefully have two Easter eggers,two jersey giamnts

6. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    It's always ok to add something, especially chicken related. Sounds like you get a lot of eggs, or should considering you have excellent breeds for egg laying.

7. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    How many eggs did you get yesterday everyone?

8. Rocky64

Jan 25, 2015
    I got 1 pullet egg, I think the hens are planning a coup d'├ętat. They've been laying well until yesterday. By the way, I have 6 able hens.

9. Hens rule

Jan 28, 2015
    USA
    Cool, I got 10 yesterday. And I only collected 9 because my chickens ate one. They tend to eat the small eggs that are not with many other eggs. Also it's so warm here that there's water every where around my chickens coop!

I know It may be dumb to ask but what's a able hen?

10. LoveThemBirds

LoveThemBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2015
    Petting Buffy Like a Dog
    I got about 13 eggs yesterday from most of my hens and the older hens.I think three of them have Cocci disease,so i'm treating it,If I go to the TSC store tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by