Roll Out Nest Box

IMG_1614.PNG
I was wondering about the height of the gap that the eggs roll under?

JT

Here is a pic from the egg cam

Gary

Cool, what is hanging down?

JT

Fabric with cuts in it, to keep it dark. Sometimes I have seen them pull an egg back in to sit on, thats when I put the fabric there. I have one who still wants to pull an egg in here and there but its not a problem just weird. Bigger area past the back wall, say 9" instead of 6" would likely keep them out of reach. I would only change it up if I had a problem like a egg eater.

Gary

edited to add, the fabric also slows the egg down as it rolls past so less likely to break. Although I have never had one break I figured it could.

Gary, thanks for the information. I lucked out and have 8" from the front of the divider to the back of the egg box. Got the sides cut just now...

The bottom of the nest box will end up about 18" off the floor and next to the coop. I have to trim the lid of the feeder and move it over a tad to make room.

JT

Got started on the RONB tonight. Got it framed up and ready for skin and door. Taking lots of photos. I did change from the drawing to make construction easier. I'll change the drawings to match as built.

Here are the two sides after cutting them using only a skill saw and a straight edge.
RONB-01.jpg

Putting in the bottom spreaders with pocket screws
RONB-02.jpg RONB-03.jpg

The top spreaders attached with pocket screws as well
RONB-04.jpg RONB-05.jpg

I'll probably staple the skin on dunno got to thing about that a bit. I might add some 1 by stock to the top to staple or screw the top on. Yea that sounds like a good idea.

JT

Oh, I missed out on kibbitzing this all day!?!

Good to be able to adjust floor angle, as liner material used will greatly affect roll speed. Big depth of trough will allow for taller egg gap also to accommodate changing of liner mat'l and floor angle.

Have kreg envy....but...wouldn't it be better to put screws thru ply and into 2x2?
Course that is pretty heavy ply...3/4"?

Gary you need a 'bumper' (more carpet) at the back of your egg trough. ;)

Oh, I missed out on kibbitzing this all day!?!

Good to be able to adjust floor angle, as liner material used will greatly affect roll speed. Big depth of trough will allow for taller egg gap also to accommodate changing of liner mat'l and floor angle.

Have kreg envy....but...wouldn't it be better to put screws thru ply and into 2x2?
Course that is pretty heavy ply...3/4"?

Gary you need a 'bumper' (more carpet) at the back of your egg trough. ;)

Its there, look at the egg cam pic in this thread, its a small strip of carpet:)

Gary

Back
Top Bottom