Roll Out Nest Box

Pics
IMG_1449.JPG
IMG_1447.JPG
IMG_1295.JPG

Pics as promised, and like I said hard to really see it. Thats one community box about 40" wide accessible from the outside. As you can see the carpet is pretty dense, they never bring in nesting material on their own and they have NEVER pooped in the box. I thought for sure I would be cleaning it once in a while all I do is pull out the carpet squares and knock off the feathers and wood chips that come in with the birds once and a while

Attachments

• IMG_1528.JPG
    IMG_1528.JPG
    299.4 KB · Views: 97
Last edited:
Got started on the RONB tonight. Got it framed up and ready for skin and door. Taking lots of photos. I did change from the drawing to make construction easier. I'll change the drawings to match as built.

Here are the two sides after cutting them using only a skill saw and a straight edge.
RONB-01.jpg

Putting in the bottom spreaders with pocket screws
RONB-02.jpg RONB-03.jpg

The top spreaders attached with pocket screws as well
RONB-04.jpg RONB-05.jpg

I'll probably staple the skin on dunno got to thing about that a bit. I might add some 1 by stock to the top to staple or screw the top on. Yea that sounds like a good idea.

JT

When I made mine I just played with the angle until it worked before I screwed it together. Its not that severe but I could not tell you the actual angle. I know I was going to get you pics i forgot, its hard to show well because its all assembled and the only good pic would be from the outside. I use dense commercial carpet squares, its not fluffy at all so the eggs roll well. I would think fake grass would work, just test the angel with an egg and the grass in place before screwing it in. If you start this way they will never know its "supposed" to have nesting material. Before they were laying I would carefully place wood eggs so they would not roll out, of course I was putting them back all the time because they would knock them around and they rolled out.

Gary

Ah I get it you placed the fake eggs in the nest box in view of the chicken to show them it's a safe place to lay. I have some ceramic brown eggs I can use.

I'll change my current design so I can adjust the floor as needed. Probably easier to make it like that anyway.

JT

Back
Top Bottom