Roll Out Nest Box

Gary, thanks for the photos.

This is the side view I'm thinking of making from some plywood I have.
View attachment 1205293
JT

Your welcome JT

Another thought, the astro turf that is dense, not plasticky stuff would work better if you can find it. Also at the big box stores the commercial indoor outdoor stuff off the rolls, if you went to a carpet store you may find scraps cheep cheep

Gary

Can you attach it to the outside of your coop? so you take up no inside space?

Gary
I'm going to attach it to the side of the run with the egg box on the outside of the run. I have no room in the coop for anything but the roosts. They very seldom go in the coop during the day, but you have me thinking more before cutting wood...

Here is what I have so far, I'll make the inside lid hinged for easy cleaning and I've not drawn a cover for the egg box part yet. I'm thinking of pinning the rear of the floor and either making a slot or just move the front of the floor up and put another screw hole in it lol.

RONB-01.JPG
JT

What inside lid? If it is outside the coop its all outside.. Maybe I am not following you (just don't see it)

Gary
My plan was to just put the egg box part (the small part at the back out the side of the run and leave the box on the inside but now I've come up with a totally new design better suited to my run... I think. I'll draw it up after my nap (one of the weekend luxuries I take).

JT

I had a change to think this over a bit and for me I think a different design will fit better in my run. I'm going to have a removable false floor so I can shim it up to the desired level. One question I have it how much clearance between the rear divider wall and the false bottom? I've attached a pdf drawing of the latest design. I think I want to lessen the angle of the rear roof for more room to reach in the door in the back. Also have to make sure I can pull the false floor out... hmm forgot to allow for carpet thickness. The flat top will be in the framed out opening of the run wall. Probably move the feeder and put it next to the coop. Would it be too low if the top was under the horizontal 2x4 that the feeder is hanging on? If I go above it I think it will be too high...

RONBv2.JPG
feeder-04.jpg
JT

Attachments

• RONBv2.PDF
    19.3 KB · Views: 16
Cool, what is hanging down?

JT

Fabric with cuts in it, to keep it dark. Sometimes I have seen them pull an egg back in to sit on, thats when I put the fabric there. I have one who still wants to pull an egg in here and there but its not a problem just weird. Bigger area past the back wall, say 9" instead of 6" would likely keep them out of reach. I would only change it up if I had a problem like a egg eater.

Gary

edited to add, the fabric also slows the egg down as it rolls past so less likely to break. Although I have never had one break I figured it could.

Gary, thanks for the information. I lucked out and have 8" from the front of the divider to the back of the egg box. Got the sides cut just now...

The bottom of the nest box will end up about 18" off the floor and next to the coop. I have to trim the lid of the feeder and move it over a tad to make room.

JT

Oh, I missed out on kibbitzing this all day!?!

Good to be able to adjust floor angle, as liner material used will greatly affect roll speed. Big depth of trough will allow for taller egg gap also to accommodate changing of liner mat'l and floor angle.

Have kreg envy....but...wouldn't it be better to put screws thru ply and into 2x2?
Course that is pretty heavy ply...3/4"?

Gary you need a 'bumper' (more carpet) at the back of your egg trough. ;)

Oh, I missed out on kibbitzing this all day!?!

Good to be able to adjust floor angle, as liner material used will greatly affect roll speed. Big depth of trough will allow for taller egg gap also to accommodate changing of liner mat'l and floor angle.

Have kreg envy....but...wouldn't it be better to put screws thru ply and into 2x2?
Course that is pretty heavy ply...3/4"?

Gary you need a 'bumper' (more carpet) at the back of your egg trough. ;)

Its there, look at the egg cam pic in this thread, its a small strip of carpet:)

Gary

Is 18" from the floor to the roost bar on the RONB ok?
Sure, they can jump that high easy.....coming down may be another story, they need some landing area to jump/fly down, 2-3', but I don't think you have that problem.

Thing that bugs me, probably unreasonably, about the kreg is that you have to buy their special screws. But it is a slick fastening technique. Guy who built my brooder palace used them.

Back
Top Bottom