Roll Out Nest Box

Oh, I missed out on kibbitzing this all day!?!

Good to be able to adjust floor angle, as liner material used will greatly affect roll speed. Big depth of trough will allow for taller egg gap also to accommodate changing of liner mat'l and floor angle.

Have kreg envy....but...wouldn't it be better to put screws thru ply and into 2x2?
Course that is pretty heavy ply...3/4"?

Love my Kreg pocket screw thingy, I had the bottom of the line model then could not find it one day so I upgraded to this better one. I like this one a lot better because you can adjust it for different material thickness. Right after buying it I found two of the cheap ones so I gave one to my neighbor. It makes construction of things like this so easy it ain't funny. I built the coop frame with pocket screws and just flew together.

Yea it's some 3/4" 5 ply from a packing crate so thick enough for pocket screws. The frames are 3/4" thick ripped from a 1x6 I had left over.

Is 18" from the floor to the roost bar on the RONB ok?

JT

Is 18" from the floor to the roost bar on the RONB ok?
Sure, they can jump that high easy.....coming down may be another story, they need some landing area to jump/fly down, 2-3', but I don't think you have that problem.

Thing that bugs me, probably unreasonably, about the kreg is that you have to buy their special screws. But it is a slick fastening technique. Guy who built my brooder palace used them.

Sure, they can jump that high easy.....coming down may be another story, they need some landing area to jump/fly down, 2-3', but I don't think you have that problem.

Thing that bugs me, probably unreasonably, about the kreg is that you have to buy their special screws. But it is a slick fastening technique. Guy who built my brooder palace used them.

My plan is to put the RONB next to the feeder in the black square. Still need to frame it out so I can cut the cage wire.

nest-box02.jpg

You can use Spax Cabinet Screws as well as Kreg screws.

JT

How far out will it stick into the run?
They might be able to step off the nest perch onto the ramp?
Maybe put it on the other side of the feeder?
Or move the feeder?
or...just pondering all options, step back, take a wide view for functionality.

How far out will it stick into the run?
They might be able to step off the nest perch onto the ramp?
Maybe put it on the other side of the feeder?
Or move the feeder?
or...just pondering all options, step back, take a wide view for functionality.

The plan is the RONB itself is 4" inside the run and the roost about 8" from the face of the RONB. I'm open right now where to put it. I do like to keep the other wall open so when I'm sitting in my chair I can watch them in the run. They hop from the ramp into the coop up to the water bucket and back all the time.

JT

Got a bit more done and thought a landing strip would be better than a roost bar so I used a 1x8. Does this look like it will work? It's 8" from the face to the center and almost level with the bottom of the nest.
RONB-11.jpg
Now to put the false floor in and make a back door. and the back roof.

JT

Got a bit more done and thought a landing strip would be better than a roost bar so I used a 1x8. Does this look like it will work? It's 8" from the face to the center and almost level with the bottom of the nest.
View attachment 1206281
Now to put the false floor in and make a back door. and the back roof.

JT

It should be fine:)

Gary

Back
Top Bottom