Roll out nest boxes

Gina Willis

Chirping
Aug 25, 2019
Elliston, Virginia
I’ve been looking at several designs for roll out nest boxes. My pullets are 14 weeks old so we are still in the planning stage. I’m thinking it would be easier to prevent egg eating from the start rather than try to correct the problem later. My question is this: do chickens actually do ok with this set up? Nests tilted downward, covered in carpet or AstroTurf ? TIA.

The ones I made had hardware clothe floor with some hay. If the hay got dirty, I'd replace it. I would usually spray off the HC when I'd change the hay. It doesn't take a lot of angle for the eggs to roll over the hay, the next hen in will usually bump it into the secret chamber that they couldn't get to, but I could from the outside.
:cool:

The ones I made had hardware clothe floor with some hay. If the hay got dirty, I'd replace it. I would usually spray off the HC when I'd change the hay. It doesn't take a lot of angle for the eggs to roll over the hay, the next hen in will usually bump it into the secret chamber that they couldn't get to, but I could from the outside.
:cool:
Do you have a picture of the outside access? I like the hay idea. Thanks!

Do you have a picture of the outside access? I like the hay idea. Thanks!
It was like JTs, but not flat on top. It looked like a regular slope top nest box you find online, but instead of it sloping to the hen entry, it sloped to the outside so no chicken could stay on it. Just cut a hole in the outside coop wall just smaller than where you will hang the nest box. The top is hinged to the coop wall so you can swing the whole top up to get to eggs or any broodies that decide to take over a nest. I stapled an old piece of vinyl across the hinge crack to keep water out. The top rests on each plywood side of the nest box which angles down to the outside about 45°.
Rain runs right off, it's too steep for a bird to stay on, and you just flip the top open to get in it. I also had a piece of cord hanging from the wall above the nest to hold the top open when needed. Really simple design. I would upload a pic but I have sold the thing to a neighbor. I'll make another soon, I'm in the process of building a coop from chainlink with metal roof. The old untreated wooden coop I built about 5 years ago is rotting away. I built it 8ft tall but as the bottom of the timbers are rotting, the roof is getting lower and I keep on whacking my head on the rafters. Nearly knocked myself out and was seeing stars last week. :he:lau

I just made one for some pullets that were already laying in regular nest boxes. Most of my chickens are using it but I’m having some hens lay outside the box. It varies between chickens. I think it would be best to start pullets out in the roll out version than trying to make them convert to one. Mine is a community box about 4’ long and that is another change for them. This weekend I’m going to cut some plywood to separate the box into four individual boxes. I think my pullets like their privacy. :confused:

I just made one for some pullets that were already laying in regular nest boxes. Most of my chickens are using it but I’m having some hens lay outside the box. It varies between chickens. I think it would be best to start pullets out in the roll out version than trying to make them convert to one. Mine is a community box about 4’ long and that is another change for them. This weekend I’m going to cut some plywood to separate the box into four individual boxes. I think my pullets like their privacy. :confused:
It's just the change....not privacy, that's a human thing....new place and no bedding.
Some folks use bedding at first until the birds get used to the new place, then slowly remove bedding to get the roll.

Back
Top Bottom