Roller Pigeons

They are usually fed wheat,milo,and either a canadian or austrian pea
Really? That's it? Milo is just a filler, to make feed cheaper. Wouldn't something like 40% wheat, 20% millet, 10% oat groats, 10% safflower, 10% white kafir, and 10% peas be better? that would bring the protein to about 13.6%, and the fat to 3.5% fat, and the fiber to about 8 percent.

Yea with those 3 grains you should be able to control a kit of rollers. If the birds are flying to high then a little extra milo should do the trick. Birds not kitting up the wheat. Some of the better flyers fed 95% wheat and when the roll started getting sloppy they would hit them with peas. Feeding rollers is different depending on your birds and how they are flying. The only times I ever used safflower was when they were molting or I didn't have any popcorn in the cold winter months. They were fed 1 tablespoon per bird. Watching the birds would tell you what they needed. I don't think there is anything better than watching a kit of rollers do their thing.

1 Are Roller Pigeons considered fancy?
I never owned Roller pigeons.
I know a fellow pigeon fancier that has a kit of them and enjoys watching their flights and so do I.

However their are Parlour Rollers that have been bred from Roller pigeons for so long that they have actually lost the ability to fly.
I really can not fathom the point of such birds.

Here is a clip showing them in action.

What type of pigeons are these?
1599399507474.png
1599399559930.png

I wasn't exactly set on rollers its just the type that is available right now. I did just find the Lahore pigeons the seller is asking $5 each the description is just "Fancy Pigeons 5 each" so I was wondering if they were actually fancy pigeons. I am looking for pigeons that don't need to fly a lot because I don't have much room.

Do they require more space than rollers because they are big?
well, I re read your post. I am saying the Lahores would be better because you wouldn't need multiple sections to fly them, as they are a show breed.
Can I use this for pigeon food?
No, it really wouldn't work. there is to much calcium and protein. grain is really good for pigeons. Do you have any feed stores close to you that sell grain?

Back
Top Bottom