1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

rolling around in the dirt??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tcclifford, Aug 26, 2007.

1. tcclifford

tcclifford New Egg

Aug 26, 2007
    Hi! I am new to keeping chickens and this is probably a dumb question.
    One of my chickens has started rolling around in the dirt. She's really getting into it! I can harly tell she is white anymore!
    Is that normal? Or does that mean there is something wrong???
    Thanks for any help you can give!!
    Tori

2. Zenbirder

Zenbirder Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    New Mexico
    She's fine, that is the way a chicken takes a bath!

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Perfectly normal...when they really get going you'd almost think that they were digging to China. LOL

4. tcclifford

tcclifford New Egg

Aug 26, 2007
    Thanks! What a relief!
    You can tell how new I am to this. I'm really glad I found this forum![​IMG]

5. SandyC

SandyC Chillin' With My Peeps

I love watching them when they dig and the dirt starts flying!

6. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Your chickens are at the chicken spa. It's an all over body treatment. It really relaxes mine. [​IMG]

7. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    It is fun to watch but mine leave holes all over the run! ( I cannot let mine free range) So, about once a week I have to go in with a rake and level things out again. It only takes a day or two for them to make holes again but it is all part of the chicken thing!!

8. newchickowner

newchickowner Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2007
    Texas
    I found this funny too the first time I saw my new chickens doing this. But I found the babies doing it just yesterday, they are a 1 1/2 weeks old now, it's adorable to watch them learning from their mama.

9. KiwiChook

KiwiChook Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2007
    I was watching my chickens digging themselves into the garden on the weekend also. They really seem to enjoy it! [​IMG] Its a good thing I don't care too much for the garden..[​IMG]

10. nutmeg

nutmeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2007
    It is not just chickens that do this. I looked out my kitchen window a few weeks ago to find a family of wild turkeys in the yard. There were about 8 young ones taking a dirt bath in the sand under a tree while mom and dad looked on. It was fun to watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by