Roman Bean and Beef Soup (with VEGETABLES !!!)

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bigmike&nan, Dec 20, 2011.

1. bigmike&nan

bigmike&nan Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey Everybody !!!

Some of you might remember me saying while watching THE GOOD, THE BAD and THE UGLY there was a scene where "Angel Eyes" sits in at a mexican household and eats this poor man's stew. It was cold that day and it looked so good. I decided to forage thru our cupboards and came up with this soup/stew. My wife says I can make this anytime. It is so hearty and such comfort food, the only thing it's missing is some dumplings. Hmmmm, that's an idea. NO JUST KIDDING (but thinking about it). LOL. Do try this

Mis en Place

1/2 cup corn oil
    1 lb bag of dried Roman Beans soaked overnight in cold water
    1 lb stew beef cut up into 1/2 inch by 1 inch pieces
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    3 cups carrots, medium dice
    3 cups onions, medium dice
    3 cups celery, medium dice
    1 envelope spicy taco seasoning
    12 oz. Coca Cola (don't use Pepsi please ?!?)
    2 large cans chicken stock
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    3 sprigs fresh oregano
    14 oz stewed tomatoes
    1/2 cup jar salsa (or make your own)
    1 tsp seasoning salt
    1 tsp garlic salt
    1 tsp fresh cracked black pepper

2 cups new potatoes cut in medium dice

Preparation:

Heat 1/4 cup corn oil in a heavy dutch oven. While the oil is coming to heat dredge the cut up stew beef in the flour and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes. Now add the vegetables and herb sprigs and use their moisture to break up some of the browned flour in the bottom of the pan. Saute about 7 minutes, next add the taco seasoning and fry about 2 minutes. Now add the Coca Cola and use it to break up all the browned bits in the bottom of the pan. Get it all. You'll see that developing into a thick sauce. Now add one large can of chicken stock, the soaked Roman Beans bring this to a boil then reduce to a simmer and simmer about 90 minutes. Next add the stewed tomatoes, seasoning and garlic salt and salsa and enough chicken stock from the 2nd can to bring the volume up liquid back up almost to the top of your dutch oven. Simmer about 30 minutes. Now add the diced potatoes and simmer another 20 minutes adding the remainder of stock from the 2nd can to keep that pot nearly full. You'll have a LOVELY soup/stew. Serve in rustic bowls with lots of hearty french bread or crackers. My wife likes a dollop of Greek Yoghurt in hers. Me I just like 2nds. LOLsea

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    hmmmmm that looks so good think it's one am gona have to try [​IMG]

3. geckomama

geckomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    looks yummy, yummy thanks!