Roo Age...updated with pics!!

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
At what age can you tell without a doubt that you have a cockeral/roo? I think I have 2 RIR's that are male (I ordered 1)...they are both larger than the pullets and are getting the longer tail feathers and big combs on their heads. I didn't really pay any attention until today when they were all together as a group. I won't cook the extra, I have a bunch of friends with chickens so I'll rehome one of them if they are both indeed males.

*The pic labeled Roo 1 is the one I'm pretty certain is the male I ordered from the hatchery..Roo 2 is the one that may have been mistaken when they were shipped. Thanks again!!

Attachments

• roo 2.jpg
    roo 2.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Roo 1.jpg
    Roo 1.jpg
    788.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
At what age can you tell without a doubt that you have a cockeral/roo? I think I have 2 RIR's that are male (I ordered 1)...they are both larger than the pullets and are getting the longer tail feathers and big combs on their heads. I didn't really pay any attention until today when they were all together as a group. I won't cook the extra, I have a bunch of friends with chickens so I'll rehome one of them if they are both indeed males.

TIA...
Well, really I think when they crow lol. I have 2 that were suspect looking with large red combs and wattles. Posting pics on here the experts will give you opinions but most ask you to post at about 8 weeks old. My 9 week old just crowed 2 days ago.

Well, really I think when they crow lol. I have 2 that were suspect looking with large red combs and wattles. Posting pics on here the experts will give you opinions but most ask you to post at about 8 weeks old. My 9 week old just crowed 2 days ago.
Mine are almost 9 weeks...I'll try and get some pics tomorrow when I let them out to graze

Back
Top Bottom