roo attack

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ricks Chicks, Oct 8, 2008.

1. Ricks Chicks

Ricks Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I walked into my coop this morning and my roo came after me peeking my legs and screeching up a storm. took me off guard I booted him across the run , I didn't hurt him, he came right back , I yelled and he coward away. is this normal or should i make him soup and get another?

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Depends on the breed, I think. I seem to go through this at least once with each of my RIR roos, but so far none of my Rocks have ever bothered me.

HTH

3. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    If it was a first time, set him straight now or you will have trouble.

Was there any reason he could have been upset...like a loud noise startling him, dog nearby etc etc. What were you wearing?

4. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I usually give them one (non deadly) kick - if they don't get it after that (and keep on with the behavior) they find a new home , or go to live with the Chicken Gods.

Peace -
    Meri

5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most people have to give their roo and good kick across the coop at least once in their life before the roo finally understands "Oh, YOU are the boss".

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Exactly! - what were you wearing? Something set him off and sometimes that something goes unnoticed by us humans.
    If he keeps it up and it's not something you are doing to provoke the behavior, then you can try to reform him or introduce him to the dumplings.

7. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    GREAT TOPIC!!!! I have a new hampshire 6mos. old. He loves attacking my 4 yr old grand daughter. I told her to kick at him. He came from behind and got my leg. I chased him all over the yard. I cought him and isolated him from everyone else. Like time out!!! He has behaved hisself for two days now. I also have a white wyondotte roo that will act like he wants to flog me, but I honestly think he's playing with me. I'll pick him up, he's just a big baby.

8. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    RoosterRed has a good personal page on how to deal with these creatures. [​IMG]

HMMM I will have to look it up and post link!!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2008
  9. AllChookUp

AllChookUp Will Shut Up for Chocolate

May 7, 2008
    Frozen Lake, MN
    I'll second Rooster Red's info on this - It helped me greatly.

[​IMG]

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by