Roo behavior at two weeks old??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MollyMalone, Mar 15, 2017.

1. MollyMalone

MollyMalone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Forgive my ignorance but can behavior be a give away as to the sex of a bird?
    I have a blue copper maran chick who, from the get go, has strutted around, chest out, head held high. I've been thinking it's probably a roo as legs and feet are much bigger than the sex links I know to be female. He has fewer feathers than the other chicks and comb development doesn't seem fast but the strutting around reached a new level today. This maran chick looked like he was trying to mate a little red sex link [​IMG]
    He stands above all the other chicks, pecks the top of their heads and tries to sit on their backs. I'm hoping it isn't a rooster as I'm already too fond.
    Here's some photos incase anyone can help....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    A lot of times the more brave/bossy/outgoing chicks or the ones that engage in chest bumping will turn out to be male.

IME any chick you become fond of will automatically convert to being a male, regardless of their actual genetics. That's just my luck. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    LOL isn't that the truth. I've had a couple pegged by that age too! Another couple weeks should tell the tale- though I haven't had marans.

4. MollyMalone

MollyMalone Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2017
    Upstate NY

Ha!! I'll bet that's my luck too [​IMG]
    "Chest bump" is exactly what this chick is doing! It's the first chick to claim treats, first in the dust bath and first on me. I've called it Louis (French & gender neutral [​IMG].) Louis has always walked around with a certain poise that the other 8 chicks don't quite have. Only 2 weeks old now but Louis does seem especially precocious [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by