Roo behavior at two weeks old??

MollyMalone

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2017
Upstate NY
Forgive my ignorance but can behavior be a give away as to the sex of a bird?
I have a blue copper maran chick who, from the get go, has strutted around, chest out, head held high. I've been thinking it's probably a roo as legs and feet are much bigger than the sex links I know to be female. He has fewer feathers than the other chicks and comb development doesn't seem fast but the strutting around reached a new level today. This maran chick looked like he was trying to mate a little red sex link
1f62c.png

He stands above all the other chicks, pecks the top of their heads and tries to sit on their backs. I'm hoping it isn't a rooster as I'm already too fond.
Here's some photos incase anyone can help....

A lot of times the more brave/bossy/outgoing chicks or the ones that engage in chest bumping will turn out to be male.

IME any chick you become fond of will automatically convert to being a male, regardless of their actual genetics. That's just my luck.
D.gif

LOL isn't that the truth. I've had a couple pegged by that age too! Another couple weeks should tell the tale- though I haven't had marans.

A lot of times the more brave/bossy/outgoing chicks or the ones that engage in chest bumping will turn out to be male. 

IME any chick you become fond of will automatically convert to being a male, regardless of their actual genetics. That's just my luck. :cd

Ha!! I'll bet that's my luck too
1f644.png

"Chest bump" is exactly what this chick is doing! It's the first chick to claim treats, first in the dust bath and first on me. I've called it Louis (French & gender neutral
1f601.png
.) Louis has always walked around with a certain poise that the other 8 chicks don't quite have. Only 2 weeks old now but Louis does seem especially precocious
1f601.png

Back
Top Bottom