Roo Experience! HELP!

Morganleigh10

In the Brooder
Mar 29, 2021
Happy Good Friday everyone! QUESTION:: I recently bought 2 chicks from our local tradeday and I just love them both! They are so fun and keep us cracking up. I don’t know what gender they are as they are still too young to tell but I’m wanting to keep them both as I’m now really attached to them. I bought them in hopes that they were both pullets but of course there’s always the chance that one or both are cockerels. I originally only wanted to keep hens for pets and to gather the eggs for family and friends...what if one or both are Roo’s, can they live peacefully together in the same coop with a few hens? How does this work? I currently have zero experience with roosters or chickens in general as this is our first experience with keeping a coop. We plan on building it when the weather warms up and these little guys or gals can go in as they get a little older. They are currently 6 weeks old. I’m attaching them at 5 weeks. Any advice on keeping roosters appreciated. I don’t want to rehome them if they are. Thank you!

Attachments

• 535E1AFA-7A98-4396-98C0-18D9988B9E75.jpeg
    535E1AFA-7A98-4396-98C0-18D9988B9E75.jpeg
    511.6 KB · Views: 9
X2. Also, if they're both roosters and you want to get hens too, they will need not just few, but enough to prevent overmating (the number of hens per roo can vary on the breed and the roo's temperament). Since they grew together they should get along as adults with their hens, but you should have a #2 plan if something gets wrong (like building another pen and coop to separate them)

Back
Top Bottom