Roo fight

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lfoose, Aug 4, 2011.

1. lfoose

lfoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Medina, OH
    Each morning my DH lets out the chickens before work and then I take care of them in the evening. Last night after I had refreshed the food/water and was bringing them in, I found one of my roo's tangled up in netting and laying on the ground. His head was swollen and bare-all the feathers were plucked out. His eyes swollen shut and his comb was literally half torn off of his head. I have no idea how long he was there but I am sure it was the other roo we have that must have chased him and attacked him.

I did my best to clean him up, medicate him and warm him up. He was bloody, full of mud and gasping for air. I have a feeling he either inhaled or swallowed some dirt/mud. He was a banty roo about 4-5 yrs old.

Can anyone venture a guess as to why he died? I am thinking maybe a strain on his heart or he really did swallow mud.

Thanks.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Could have been combination of both, especially if he got tangled and lay there for quite awhile in the very hot weather. so sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Well I've seen what a roo can do to another when they decide they want to be the only one. They go for the head and eyes. Your roo did the kiling. Sometimes I think stress will bring on such an attack.

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    So sorry to hear that your banty roo didn't make it. His body might have gone into shock after the attack or maybe he lost a good deal of blood poor thing.

Who knows if he somehow got tangled up in the net first and then the other roo saw him as vulnerable and then attacked.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by