Roo? Hen? Breed?

You should ditch that friend. They dumped their rooster problem on you.
This rooster problem... is it a common? Haha I’ll kindly give it back to him. In a nice package. I think a cockerel dump isn’t grounds for ditching. Now, if this bird crowed and he dumped it on me without knowing... that would be a different issue. Again, let me know if a chicken friendly town that I can move to so that a rooster doesn’t become a problem.

This rooster problem... is it a common? Haha I’ll kindly give it back to him. In a nice package. I think a cockerel dump isn’t grounds for ditching. Now, if this bird crowed and he dumped it on me without knowing... that would be a different issue. Again, let me know if a chicken friendly town that I can move to so that a rooster doesn’t become a problem.
This chicken is old enough that the friend should have known it was male.

People don’t want roosters. They crow, are often illegal, and some people just don’t like the idea of fertile eggs (as stupid as that is). So for many reasons, people dump roosters all the time. On highways, in parks, in neighbor’s coops…
Honestly, I don’t see anything wrong with it. If it wasn’t for the city ordinance, I’d keep it to free range with the others.

so, are roosters the unliked chicken? Why all the shade against it?
They don't lay eggs, they crow, are illegal in most cities, harder to have a lot of roosters together than it is hens, most people only want one rooster if any, many believe roosters are mean, some people see eating fertile eggs as murder, the list goes on and on.

Personally, I love roosters. Possibly even more than hens. But unfortunately I am a minority. It can be extremely hard to rehome roosters and them not end up as soup.

I mean, I suppose. Many people see roosters as freeloaders and then do not want them.

But if roosters laid eggs, they would have ovaries, and then not really be roosters anymore.
Your response is awesome. This discussion thread is definitely making my night, which might say a lot about me.

Back
Top Bottom