Roo or 2 pullets? 20 weeks old Speckled Sussex

Hen or Roo ? Please help!

• Total voters
They are all lovely pullets. I love Cackle Hatchery chickens. You must let us know when you get your first egg. :)
Thank you! I’m so glad she’s a hen! We love her and she’s a great part of the flock! I am very pleased with Cackle Hatchery! I’m going to post first egg pictures!! We are waiting and checking daily and showing the girls the “dummy eggs”!

That's a quite large looking comb for a pullet, but nevertheless, she's a pullet not a roo. And very beautiful too :) Here is my Speckled Sussex rooster at 22 weeks for reference - very different looking from your pullet.
20181021_104927.jpg

The warm weather is also a contributor to red combs, their blood needs to circulate more, I'm in AZ and I get red comb hens too

My theory/experience is a rooster gets the hormones pumping sooner all my hens started laying at 4 months and that's over 26 of them! Thanks yo my roosters who were bought as pullets lol

You don't need another opinion here but I agree with pullet and just different comb size is all the most telling feature of a roo that age is the saddle feathers can't go wrong there

Also all chickens have Tiny spur nubs on the legs

I hope my speckled Sussex is a girl and grows into looking like yours! She was a rescue
20181011_175603.jpg

We live in FL so the weather here is still in the 90s slowly going to 80s and 60s at night. Our winter won’t happen til around February.
I asked the same thing when someone mentioned laying seasons because I am also in central FL. Even though we don't have the temperature changes, we still get the shorter days, which is the real reason for the drop in egg production.

Back
Top Bottom