roo or hen

happyhens44

BroodyAddict
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Northern WI
this is Duke I think hes a roo, Idk it kinda acts like its a hen.... its 10 weeks old

55446_chickys_022.jpg

55446_chickys_018.jpg

and I think this is a hen its 8 1/2 weeks old... but im thinking twice, it has a REALLY DEEP cluck apared to the others

55446_chickys_015.jpg

55446_chickys_004.jpg

I'm thinking both hens at this point, I see no signs of saddle on either. Hope this helps!
cool.png

Duke is a roo, very nice looking.

Keep an eye on the second chicken, that is a rather big comb and red face for 81/2 week old hen.

my BR's are 9 weeks nearly 10 weeks and none have red comb and wattles like that. I say roo for the first one..the second one, you'll just have to give it a little time.

Don't know about the 2nd one, but I am going to say the first one is a Barred Rock roo. Comparing him to my 10 week old BR hens, they are no where near as red, do not have wattles yet & not as much comb as yours. Also, he looks pretty grayish as compared to a female BR who would be darker.

The BR looks alot like my BR cockerels at that age - if it is a "he" you should see shiny saddle feathers coming in on the back pretty soon.

The second looks like a pullet to me - I have a Wyandotte cross pullet who developed a comb early on but it stayed small like the one in your pic.

Good luck - hope you get what you want!

Melissa

Back
Top Bottom