roo or hen

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by happyhens44, Jun 4, 2010.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    this is Duke I think hes a roo, Idk it kinda acts like its a hen.... its 10 weeks old

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I think this is a hen its 8 1/2 weeks old... but im thinking twice, it has a REALLY DEEP cluck apared to the others

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peggym

peggym In the Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    I'm thinking both hens at this point, I see no signs of saddle on either. Hope this helps![​IMG]

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Songster

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    Duke is a roo, very nice looking.

Keep an eye on the second chicken, that is a rather big comb and red face for 81/2 week old hen.

4. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    my BR's are 9 weeks nearly 10 weeks and none have red comb and wattles like that. I say roo for the first one..the second one, you'll just have to give it a little time.

5. I think 2 girls [​IMG]

6. Double Post [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  7. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Songster

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Don't know about the 2nd one, but I am going to say the first one is a Barred Rock roo. Comparing him to my 10 week old BR hens, they are no where near as red, do not have wattles yet & not as much comb as yours. Also, he looks pretty grayish as compared to a female BR who would be darker.

8. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    ok thanks I think time will tell im kinda hoping dukes a roo and my black ones a hen but only time will tell

9. The Lisser

The Lisser Songster

The BR looks alot like my BR cockerels at that age - if it is a "he" you should see shiny saddle feathers coming in on the back pretty soon.

The second looks like a pullet to me - I have a Wyandotte cross pullet who developed a comb early on but it stayed small like the one in your pic.

Good luck - hope you get what you want!

Melissa

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Duke is a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by