Roo or pullet (buff orpington)?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gingerkid, Mar 27, 2012.

1. I did some research on the forums here, but I’m completely new to chickens so I wanted to post the question here to see what responses I get. I’m a little worried one of my pullets is actually a roo since it’s developing a larger comb faster than the others and it’s turning red faster than the others. I have two buff orpingtons and one is a bit larger than the other and has a pronounced comb that is starting to turn red, while my other orpington still has a buff colored comb. I posted a photo of both of my orpingtons for comparison (I'm curious about the one on the top of the photo). They should be roughly the same age, about 4 weeks old, since I got them at the same time. Is it too early to tell if I have a boy on my hands? I’d love any thoughts/advice on when I can tell for sure if it’s a roo.

[​IMG]
    Thanks in advance! I’m completely new to chickens and this forum has been an immense help!

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Yep - you got yourself a little pair.

3. Thanks for such a quick response - that's what I was afraid of [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, what a nice pair o' Buff Orps!

Is there a reason you don't want cockerels? Like local laws or something? Because *I* think no flock is complete without a rooster.

And BO roosters are GORGEOUS!

5. Connorrm

Connorrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    Capital District, NY
    Are Buff Orphington roosters delicious? Because I"m going to eat my extra ones. I have 18 straight run right now and I see at least 5 with pink combs at about 3 weeks old.

6. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Yep that's a roo! So cute!

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    Based on comb size/color, it looks like a rooster to me! [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

They're as delicious as any other chicken breed; after all, BOs are one of the "dual purpose" breeds, meaning good as layers and good for meat. I'd process the cockerels no earlier than 18-20 weeks of age, and 24 weeks would still be fine.

9. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    x2. Because I currently live in a city where roosters aren't allowed, the first crow was the decision point for me. My BO roos crowed around 16-17 weeks of age. In my first batch of straight run, in addition to the BO roos, I had a couple of Barred Rock X's. I let one of them stay until he was 25 weeks (and crowing all day, which is why DH said "this just can't go on"). I couldn't tell a difference in the tenderness of the meat, even though there was an obvious physical difference between the 17-weekers and the 25-weeker.

10. Yeah, we live in the suburbs and roosters aren't allowed. They are very pretty and this one would make a great pet - but the neighbors wouldn't appreciate it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by