Roo or pullet? Seven weeks old - UPDATED PHOTOS :)

Roo or pullet?

• Both pullets

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • #1 Frank roo, #2 Henrietta pullet

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • #1 Fran pullet, #2 Henry roo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both roos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Aeropennchick

Songster
7 Years
Mar 20, 2012
Southern PA
Ok, trying this again with my buff orps (I am so impatient!!) - Roos or pullets?

Fran/Frank
3 weeks:

5 weeks: (the small horizontal red mark below his nostril is a scrape, but underneath that is a red wattle!)

Seven weeks:

And here is Henrietta/Henry
3 weeks:

5 weeks:

Seven Weeks:

And here they are together:

Any ideas? I am also including a pic of one of our red pullets, so you can see their combs and wattles:

Thanks for guessing with me!!

Last edited:
My guess is that they're both pullets, but I'm not too experienced with chicks so I don't know for sure.

I am really thinking the first one is a roo. He feathered in last, is the most fearless, and I saw him puff his neck feathers out into a cone shape when he and another chick ran at each other. Lots of the chicks run up and bump chests and stuff, but he is the only one who has puffed into a cone. Also, you can't really see it in the photos I put up, but his flight feathers are a darker orange-ish color. I suppose he could just be a really pushy girl...this is a fun wait-and-see game!

My rooster acted exactly like that when he was the same age. Probably a roo. I hope he ends up being nice. Mine is evil. I have tips on training them to be nicer-ish....

Thanks so much :) Are you of the school of thought where you shouldn't handle the roos as much? I can see that if they are more comfortable with you, they might be more likely to attack when their hormones kick in.

I am starting off with a mix of breeds, mostly obtained from hatcheries, before I decide on one to breed and possibly show. But that will be two years from now, if I am able to resist the urge to start sooner, haha!

Back
Top Bottom