Roo or pullet? Seven weeks old - UPDATED PHOTOS :)

Roo or pullet?

• Both pullets

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • #1 Frank roo, #2 Henrietta pullet

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • #1 Fran pullet, #2 Henry roo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both roos

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I like to handle my roo as much as possible (when I can catch him). He only attacks me when I handle the hens and they get mad and make lots of noise. He is a very protective guy.
I am trying to get into Serama Bantams and Old English Bantams. They are Super easy to show being so tiny.
The main thing to do with a roo is to not show fear. Yes their attacks can hurt but only for a few minutes.
I started out with 14 different hens from My Pet Chicken. We then added 4 more hens of different breeds. And then two bantams. :D I love our farm.

I really don't have any experience with chicks, just the last 2 weeks with six Buff Orpingtons, but that top one looks like a he to me. Out of my 6 I thought I had 3 of each for the first week, but as feathers started coming in I'm fairly certain I have 4 males and 2 hens. The 2 I think are female have much longer wing feathers and have tailfeathers coming in. The other 4 have no tailfeathers and the feathers on their wings are much shorter, like the first picture you posted. I would love to be wrong and not have 4 roosters, I'm just glad I found someone to take them if they are. BYW I have 3 Rhode Island Red Chicks that are about 4 days younger, I paid for 3 pullets. Their feathers are coming in the same as the 2 others that I think are hens. Just my very inexperienced opinion.....

I am curious to see what you end up with :)

Thanks for the replies and advice, guys.

We raised our dogs with the calm, assertive method, and it worked wonders for the way we dealt with life in general - you have to learn how to control your responses to benefit the situation. I think I can adapt this to working with roos. I was hoping I didn't have to stop snuggling them!!

Nope, never stop loving on them.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom