Roo over heating!??!

rosemarysugar

Songster
Mar 1, 2018
Meeker, Colorado
I have 3 chicks, a 5 week old roo, and two 4 week old girls. For our heating method we use a heat lamp. The roo is very hot under the heat lamp but the others aren't ( the lamp is 40" away from ground). Any ideas on how to keep the girls warm without him over heating?
Could we put him outside even though it is winter? When would be a good time to start taking them outside?

At their age they should be at 65-70 degrees, so definitely turn off that lamp and continue to get them used to cooler temperatures. Most will always choose to sit under a heat source no matter their age.

You can also move a heat lamp out to the coop and finish the acclimating out there if your coop is large enough to safely do so. Otherwise a garage pen could work.

At their age they should be at 65-70 degrees, so definitely turn off that lamp and continue to get them used to cooler temperatures. Most will always choose to sit under a heat source no matter their age.

You can also move a heat lamp out to the coop and finish the acclimating out there if your coop is large enough to safely do so. Otherwise a garage pen could work.
Thank you!!:goodpost:

Good advice, got a picture of your set up?
Just made it a lot bigger.
15480149347785666528905765386174.jpg

Where is your heat source?
No biggie but I would put the water in one corner, keep the feeder in that area but farther from the sides of the box & put the dust bath off to the either side. Put the heat lamp pointing to the end the feed/water is at...That way they can move away from the heat source.

FYI - There's an interesting article MHP by Blooie you may want to consider next round of chicks

Where is your heat source?
No biggie but I would put the water in one corner, keep the feeder in that area but farther from the sides of the box & put the dust bath off to the either side. Put the heat lamp pointing to the end the feed/water is at...That way they can move away from the heat source.

FYI - There's an interesting article MHP by Blooie you may want to consider next round of chicks
I moved their heat lamp so I could get a good pic, Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom