roo problem

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abhaya, Dec 22, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    My flock free ranges. My roo is in the habit of coming by the house and crowing. If I build a run for him by the barn how often do I need to let him out with the ladies to have fertile eggs? or put the ladies in with him what would be better?

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'd keep the ladies with him. If you plan to continue free ranging, he will be an asset by alerting the hens of danger. Hens spend the majority of their time with their heads down and butts in the air. Roosters will eat some, but lookout for threats.

3. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:Agree 100%-a good rooster is a tremendous asset to your ladies. Plus, they're just beautiful to look at when they are out free ranging with the gals. [​IMG]

4. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    I would also let him roam - But to answer your question - he should mate each hen at least 1x per week for best fertility - maybe twice.

I didn't like my rooster crowing under the bedroom window either - I put in an automatic door on the coop & make sure it doesn't open until 7:30 am.

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Quote:[​IMG] I have a few who do that too. I think they like how their voices bounce off the house. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by