Roo Right? One more

k - stupid question here - what are hackles? I have 7 chicks about that sized and would love to have some indication of what they are.

Quote:
I have a Barred Easter eggers and they came from my brown EE hens and my Barred rock roo .

i know for a fact that they are hens because they are laying.

I don't know how old you birds are in this post but this is my picture of a 10 week old BR/EE roo.

I think both your birds are girls.
DSC000052.jpg

DSC000062.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
i am getting better at seeing them early but there are some poeple on here who are better at spotting them early on.

hackles are the pointed neck feathers.see them coming down on the chest.they are very noticable on birds that are not solid in color.female neck feathers are rounded.
saddle feathers are the pointed feathers before the tail.females don't have saddle feathers.
solid color roo
41488_blrok_640x480.jpg

female
41488_br1_800x600.jpg

white feathers on neck are pointed.saddle feathers are the pointed ones drooping over the back.
41488_wynrockboy_800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a Barred Easter eggers and they came from my brown EE hens and my Barred rock roo .

I think the hen has to get the barring from her sire. Your cross is the opposite of the first post. Barred rock hens pass barring to the boy chicks, if bred to a non-barred roo. Your cross was a barred roo over non-barred hens, not the same. I think barred EE sounds cool--it would be unexpected to get a green egg from a barred bird!

I think the OPs birds are both boys. Sorry
sad.png

Quote:

all i know is what i have read. barred hens have to get the barring from both sides (b from mom and B from dad). This would mean that your EE moms have a "b" gene. it would show in their color but does in their offspring when the "B" is recieved from the dad. This is why black star males are barred and the females are not.

Back
Top Bottom