Roo, right?

That's why spurs or spur buds aren't a reliable gender indicator. Some hens have decent buds at this age, and even some wicked spurs as they age, while some roosters don't get any size to theirs until after a year old. Comb size and color for the age, and more importantly sex feathers (hackle and saddle feathers) don't lie. Females will never have those nice flowing, pointed feathers.

X2
They are males

Here are a couple California Whites, that were purchased as day old chics as pullets...
any doubt that these are roosters? I didn't think I should waste everyone's time starting a new thread.

I wanted to make sure before I sell them...

Last edited:
I wonder if I'll ever get it! lol
I am always "almost positive" or "95% sure"
Until I see them lay an egg or hear them crow... But really, there are some I know for sure... Promise :)

yeah! I hope I'm wrong!

They are 8+ months old

I thought the combs were too big to be pullets... They are getting bright and I had one that I bought with them, that started laying 2 months ago...

At 8 months old, those are definitely pullets. They look like they'll be laying soon. :)

They are a large combed breed in both female and male, the difference being that if it were that large and bright at 2 months vs. their current age of 8+ months that would cause concern for gender. At their age you would be seeing the other gender characteristics such as the presence of male saddle/hackle feathers, etc.

Back
Top Bottom