Roo, right?

ChickenSheep

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 19, 2014
SW Florida
I feel dumb even asking but are these two Colombian Wyandotte Roos? I would expect a bigger knob where their spur is growing. No crowing yet (6-7 months old).

Thanks for your help!

Troy

You know, the feathers say rooster to me. The neck feathers are pointy, and the saddle feathers look very male. But the head and the slender feet and legs don't say rooster to me. So I understand why you're not 100% sure.

I have a lavender orpington who confused me the same way. It just took him much longer to mature. So I'll say rooster. Just give it a few months. I wasn't sure with my cockerel for almost the exact same reasons. He is VERY MALE now! His wattles and comb really got big, and his legs are thick, and a crows like no other! LOL But he still just has spur bumps. I think the wyandottes and orpingtons just take longer to grow.

Take care,
Sharon

Definitely roo. He has saddle feathers and the start of sickle feathers. I've had a few that didn't crow before 8-9 months so I don't put any weight into the no crowing part.

That's why spurs or spur buds aren't a reliable gender indicator. Some hens have decent buds at this age, and even some wicked spurs as they age, while some roosters don't get any size to theirs until after a year old. Comb size and color for the age, and more importantly sex feathers (hackle and saddle feathers) don't lie. Females will never have those nice flowing, pointed feathers.

Back
Top Bottom