Roo, ruffled feathers, yellow, runny poop

Ada06

Songster
Apr 26, 2020
Lansing, Michigan
My silkie roo is acting off, standing around (eyes open), yellow, runny poop, and kinda wobbly. A little bunched up and just not acting right.
My flock have had mites recently, and I just finished treatment.
Any help would be appreciated!!

I currently have given the ill roo some sav a chick electrolytes, not sure what else to do. The whole flock has been on grower for a few weeks now, due to new chicks being introduced.

You said you "just finished treatment" for mites .... Did you spray the whole coop down along with nest boxes? Or did you treat individually? What did you used? Have you checked him for mites? Have you seen him eat/drink/poop?

When I get new chicks, I start them off on Med Chick Starter, smallest bag I can get so they have at least a week or two on it. Then they get switched to Flock Raiser for life ... I do put out a separate dish of grit and Dish of Oyster Shells when the pullets reach 18wks or start laying early. I've never had an issue with shells nor laying.

Read about the "energy/protein" laying takes, made sense to me. Saves on storage space and not having to worry with a mixed flock. Did read about how layer has less protein and more calcium .... Calcium not being good for chicks and Roos, although some dispute that. Have read about feeding All Purpose, All Flock and even Grower instead of layer with Oyster Shells offered free feed in a separate dish.

You said you "just finished treatment" for mites .... Did you spray the whole coop down along with nest boxes? Or did you treat individually? What did you used? Have you checked him for mites? Have you seen him eat/drink/poop?

When I get new chicks, I start them off on Med Chick Starter, smallest bag I can get so they have at least a week or two on it. Then they get switched to Flock Raiser for life ... I do put out a separate dish of grit and Dish of Oyster Shells when the pullets reach 18wks or start laying early. I've never had an issue with shells nor laying.

Read about the "energy/protein" laying takes, made sense to me. Saves on storage space and not having to worry with a mixed flock. Did read about how layer has less protein and more calcium .... Calcium not being good for chicks and Roos, although some dispute that. Have read about feeding All Purpose, All Flock and even Grower instead of layer with Oyster Shells offered free feed in a separate dish.
I fed him some banana covered in grower feed to make sure he was eating. I saw mites on them a few weeks ago Cleaned out their coop three times (every seven days) and have been using this on the birds :
Screenshot_2021-07-30-00-42-51-431.jpg

I haven't seen mites on them for roughly seven days now. I checked him today, didn't see any, or any signs of them.
I have read about roosters not being able/ shouldn't eat too much calcium but my provider mentioned it being alright, in his experience.
I have never heard of all flock, maybe my feed provider has some, I will have to look into it.
Thank you!!

That's good stuff (Garden and Poultry Dust) ... I also use food grade DE to sprinkle around the coop and shavings, even the chickens. Dust under the wings (armpits) and vent area, that's where them critters like to hang out. Ask your provider for something with higher protein but make sure you offer Oyster Shells in a separate dish.

That's good stuff (Garden and Poultry Dust) ... I also use food grade DE to sprinkle around the coop and shavings, even the chickens. Dust under the wings (armpits) and vent area, that's where them critters like to hang out. Ask your provider for something with higher protein but make sure you offer Oyster Shells in a separate dish.
Thank you!
I do dust the coop with DE but havent put any on the chickens 🤔
Good idea!!

He's worse today, holding his wings in an odd way, not moving, eating less (mainly drinking), the rest of the flock are acting normal.

Back
Top Bottom